Old 27-07-2004, 05:36 AM
Heidi the Horrible

Default Help...renovating shade area

I plan to try to renovate the shady area of my lawn in late August. I'd
appreciate suggestions.

Here's the situation...I'm in a borderline Mason-Dixon climate where most
nothern grasses don't do well and turf-type tall fescue is the main
recommended grass. However, I have irrigation (plenty of free water) and
have considered bluegrass or other finer fescues.

My soil seems too compacted and poor in some spots. The current grass is
ok...just too thin. Weeds are only about 1%. Perhaps I should get my
biggest tree thinned out a bit for it's health and to get more light on the
yard.

I would love help getting a plan of action together.

Thanks.

HtH

Old 27-07-2004, 05:36 AM
Steveo

"Heidi the Horrible" wrote:
I plan to try to renovate the shady area of my lawn in late August. I'd
appreciate suggestions.

Here's the situation...I'm in a borderline Mason-Dixon climate where most
nothern grasses don't do well and turf-type tall fescue is the main
recommended grass. However, I have irrigation (plenty of free water) and
have considered bluegrass or other finer fescues.

My soil seems too compacted and poor in some spots. The current grass is
ok...just too thin. Weeds are only about 1%. Perhaps I should get my
biggest tree thinned out a bit for it's health and to get more light on
the yard.

I would love help getting a plan of action together.

Thanks.

HtH

How many sg ft are you talking about in the shade area's, Heidi?

--
Here's my favorite liberal.

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0424216/
Old 29-07-2004, 02:30 AM
Heidi the Horrible

How many sg ft are you talking about in the shade area's, Heidi?

About 1000 to 1500 I would guess.

HtH

Old 29-07-2004, 12:37 PM
Steveo

"Heidi the Horrible" wrote:
How many sg ft are you talking about in the shade area's, Heidi?

About 1000 to 1500 I would guess.

HtH

That's about the same size shade area I battle with here in Ohio. I
brought in decent topsoil, added some organics and seed it twice
a year with a rye/fine fescue blend. I use 10-18-10 fertilizer there
and -never- put pre-emergent down.

You mentioned you have a free water source, I water my shade area
at least 1 to 2 inches per week.

It's a never ending battle, and pruning your tree as you suggested
would help.

If all else fails, consider replacing the turf with shade tolerant
ground covers.

Old 30-07-2004, 05:05 AM
Heidi the Horrible

That's about the same size shade area I battle with here in Ohio. I
brought in decent topsoil, added some organics and seed it twice
a year with a rye/fine fescue blend. I use 10-18-10 fertilizer there
and -never- put pre-emergent down.

What "organics" would you put down ?

Would a rye/fine fescue blend survive here ? I'm about the same climate as
extreme southern Ohio...say Cincinati or Louisville. Bermuda grows here in
the sun...but barely.

Thanks.

HtH

Old 30-07-2004, 12:03 PM
Steveo

"Heidi the Horrible" wrote:
That's about the same size shade area I battle with here in Ohio. I
brought in decent topsoil, added some organics and seed it twice
a year with a rye/fine fescue blend. I use 10-18-10 fertilizer there
and -never- put pre-emergent down.

What "organics" would you put down ?

I added aged manure and bails of peat moss..shallow tilled it in.

Would a rye/fine fescue blend survive here ? I'm about the same climate
as extreme southern Ohio...say Cincinati or Louisville. Bermuda grows
here in the sun...but barely.

I'd try it..with the shade and your irrigation the soil temp should
be lowered enough to allow it.

Thanks.

HtH

Renovating / renewing a concreted and patioed garden James United Kingdom 2 04-04-2005 06:00 PM
Renovating garden gary Gardening 3 05-03-2005 05:22 PM
Renovating Wild Black Raspberries? Jenny Gardening 4 01-07-2004 02:07 AM
Shade shade shade stephane Boutin United Kingdom 6 18-05-2003 06:32 AM
Renovating apple trees John Watson United Kingdom 3 29-09-2002 11:12 PM