Old 13-08-2004, 08:33 PM
dnmccoy

Default Getting grass to grow on new lot

Hi all, I just bought a 5 acre lot in the Columbus ohio area. Right
now the ground is covered with weeds and I was wondering the best way
to get some nice grass to grow. Any thoughts are appreciated

thx,
dm
Old 17-08-2004, 05:31 PM
Steveo

(dnmccoy) wrote:
Steveo wrote in message
On 14 Aug 2004 22:42:54 GMT, Steveo
wrote:

Steveo wrote:
(dnmccoy) wrote:
Steveo wrote in message
(dnmccoy) wrote:
Hi all, I just bought a 5 acre lot in the Columbus ohio
area. Right now the ground is covered with weeds and I was
wondering the best way to get some nice grass to grow. Any
thoughts are appreciated

thx,
dm

Hi dnmccoy, 5 acre's ay? That's a big area to seed at one
time, is it graded already or is it still rough?

Its rough but it dosnt have much of a roll to it. Its pretty
flat except for one corner which is maybe 6-9" higher

I suggest you look into a roundup application followed by having
someone rock-hound and grade your soil. After that you'll need
at least 350 lbs of a good seed blend and tons of straw.

Addendum ^^^ that's per acre.

Wow, don't you still need to water twice daily after the seed and
straw is spread. Might want to get a means setup for irrigation in
place as well.

It wouldn't hurt but irrigating 220,000 sg ft is real tough. If
there is -one- month to get away without having to put down water
it would be September here in Ohio. He better be doing the roundup
RIGHT NOW.

So youd just recomend using the roundup to kill the weeds then seed
during sept?

Yes! Do the rounup ASAP on a day with no rain. Do you have the means
to treat 5 acres with a liquid application?

--
Madness takes its toll. Please have exact change ready.
Old 17-08-2004, 11:39 PM
dnmccoy

Steveo wrote in message ...
wrote:

Steveo wrote:
(dnmccoy) wrote:
Steveo wrote in message
(dnmccoy) wrote:
[...]

no Id just be using a sprayer. Im not sure Ill be doing the whole lot
yet, I may be putting a pond in

Old 18-08-2004, 12:03 AM
dnmccoy

Steveo wrote in message ...
wrote:

Steveo wrote:
(dnmccoy) wrote:
Steveo wrote in message
(dnmccoy) wrote:
[...]

Im just going to use a sprayer. I might not do all 5 acres, as I may
be putting a pond in
Old 24-08-2004, 01:50 AM
GARAGE OWL

Hello, if you want a fast stand use some urea it is pure nitrogen . I
would say about 30 # per acre . just my 2 cents but it wouldn't hurt to
do a soil sample to see if it is starved for nutrients.

Old 24-08-2004, 02:56 AM
Peter H

dnmccoy wrote:

Hi all, I just bought a 5 acre lot in the Columbus ohio area. Right
now the ground is covered with weeds and I was wondering the best way
to get some nice grass to grow. Any thoughts are appreciated

thx,
dm

Was there a lawn there at one time? If so then just wackin' the weeds
may be enough to create a lawn again.

Peter H