Old 15-08-2004, 07:17 PM
Marcus_go

Default Craftsman Tractor resale value

I was wondering if someone knows what a 8 year old Craftsman lawn tractor
is worth. Here are the details: 18hp Kohler engine, 42" deck, rear
baggers, electric start. New parts: drive belts, muffler, mandrel pull,
spark plugs, fresh oil. Tractor has a little rust under seat and some spot
rust on the deck. I paid $4200 cdn in the summer of 96. The only problem
with it has been starting. It will take a while to start when its cold,
sometimes up to 15sec of cranking. When the engine is hot it won't start.
I've been told that it could be the engine coil that has a small hairline
crack in it. What would a new one cost for this tractor? How long do these
tractors last and what is a good tractor? I cut 2.5 acres which is mostly
hills but it has some flat spots. I also have a large garden with lawn
pathways. Thanks for your help.

Old 15-08-2004, 07:30 PM
Srgnt Bilko

"Marcus_go" wrote in message
lkaboutgardening.com...
I was wondering if someone knows what a 8 year old Craftsman lawn tractor
is worth. Here are the details: 18hp Kohler engine, 42" deck, rear
baggers, electric start. New parts: drive belts, muffler, mandrel pull,
spark plugs, fresh oil. Tractor has a little rust under seat and some spot
rust on the deck. I paid $4200 cdn in the summer of 96. The only problem
with it has been starting. It will take a while to start when its cold,
sometimes up to 15sec of cranking. When the engine is hot it won't start.
I've been told that it could be the engine coil that has a small hairline
crack in it. What would a new one cost for this tractor? How long do these
tractors last and what is a good tractor? I cut 2.5 acres which is mostly
hills but it has some flat spots. I also have a large garden with lawn
pathways. Thanks for your help.

I bought an 18hp used Craftsman a couple years ago for $350. It also had
trouble starting. It didn't have the rear baggers.
I fixed the starting problem, used it for a year, and gave it to a nephew
who sold it but I can't remember for how much. I liked it - big tractor -
plenty of umph - but it didn't turn good - the front wheels sometimes
"skidded".

I wouldn't pay more than $350 for yours at this point with the baggers. 15
seconds of cranking is not acceptable. The best source I found for used
prices says yours lost half it's value the first year.

Old 16-08-2004, 04:01 AM
Marcus_go

What did you do to fix the starting problem? On average how long do the
Craftsman tractors last? What tractor do you recommend for my cutting
guidlines? Are the John Deere tractors Ok as far as reliability and
durability in the long run? I looked at the John Deere L130 at the Home
Depot and it seemed like a fairly nice tractor for the money, what do you
think?

Old 16-08-2004, 08:09 AM
Srgnt Bilko

"Marcus_go" wrote in message
lkaboutgardening.com...
What did you do to fix the starting problem?

Sorry - I miss spoke - it was a running problem rather than a starting
problem. It fired off fine but then had trouble continueing running. It
would only run when choked - and they already had the carburetor rebuilt -
that hadn't fixed the problem.

On average how long do the
Craftsman tractors last?

As discussed in here a number of times previously - the tractors frequently
outlast the mower decks.