Old 22-08-2004, 06:50 PM
Eric

Default running pipe under driveway

Foes anyone have any experience trying to hammer a piece of capped
galvanized pipe under a concrete driveway? I'm wondering how far
this will work. I'd like to extend my sprinkler system to the area
on the other side of my driveway. Probably a 3/4 inch pipe will do.
Thanks
Eric

Old 22-08-2004, 07:29 PM
Dandelion Acres

Try connecting a water hose to one end, and open the other. Let the water do
the work. Be sure to arrange for the spilled water to come back out the
hole with the dredgings, else you undermine in areas you don't want.

Old 22-08-2004, 09:32 PM
James Nipper

Remember that you might get a sprinkler installation man to do this one task
for you. Also, cable installers do this all the time. These two
industries have a special machine that would do this job in 15-20 minutes.
If you find a small (as in one man) company, they might to it for a very
small fee, especially if they frequently come to your neighborhood for other
work.

Try to see who does sprinkers/ or cable installations in your
neighborhood. Many cable companies use independent contractors to install
cable tv wires, and I get the impression most of them are one man ventures.

Hope this helps.

The water pressure idea is also good, and is good advice if you wish to try
it yourself. It is a common method.

--James--

Old 22-08-2004, 11:50 PM
AustinMN

Eric wrote:
Foes anyone have any experience trying to hammer a piece of capped
galvanized pipe under a concrete driveway? I'm wondering how far
this will work. I'd like to extend my sprinkler system to the area
on the other side of my driveway. Probably a 3/4 inch pipe will do.
Thanks
Eric

How wide is the driveway?

Austin

Old 23-08-2004, 01:08 AM
Eric

James Nipper wrote:

[...]

I'd prefer to do it myself, the driveway is 12 feet wide. Is there a tool i
can rent that does this kind of thing?
Eric
Old 23-08-2004, 01:28 AM
James Nipper

Yes, there is a tool, but I don't know the name of it. It is some sort of
twisting router, the squiggles through the ground .

Call a local rental store and tell them what you need.

Good Luck

--James--

Old 23-08-2004, 02:07 AM
Srgnt Bilko

"Eric" wrote in message
Foes anyone have any experience trying to hammer a piece of capped
galvanized pipe under a concrete driveway? I'm wondering how far
this will work. I'd like to extend my sprinkler system to the area
on the other side of my driveway. Probably a 3/4 inch pipe will do.
Thanks
Eric

My experience has been driving 1 1/4" pipe vertically but the problem was
always the joints - which you might not need. But if you do, they make
special drive couplings for the bigger pipe - if they make them for small
pipe I would recommend using them. And keep turning the pipe in a tightening
direction.

Old 23-08-2004, 05:05 AM
Eric

James Nipper wrote:

Yes, there is a tool, but I don't know the name of it. It is some sort of
twisting router, the squiggles through the ground .

Call a local rental store and tell them what you need.

Good Luck

--James--

After googling around i think the device i need is a "vibratory plow".
Anyone heard of this? or used one?
Eric
Old 24-08-2004, 06:23 PM
Bob

"Eric" wrote in message

I'd prefer to do it myself, the driveway is 12 feet wide. Is

there a tool i
can rent that does this kind of thing?
Eric

The hardware store should have a "blaster nozzle" you glue to PVC
pipe and connect a hose to the other end of the pipe with the
included hose fitting. It's made for this job. Get a length of
20' PVC to do the whole job without couplers which can cause
problems.

Bob

Old 24-08-2004, 11:17 PM
Steveo

"Bob" wrote:
"Eric" wrote in message

I'd prefer to do it myself, the driveway is 12 feet wide. Is

there a tool i
can rent that does this kind of thing?
Eric

The hardware store should have a "blaster nozzle" you glue to PVC
pipe and connect a hose to the other end of the pipe with the
included hose fitting. It's made for this job. Get a length of
20' PVC to do the whole job without couplers which can cause
problems.

Bob

Vibro-hoe it with the spud bar. Whooptie shit.
Old 28-08-2004, 02:44 AM
michelle

Eric wrote:
James Nipper wrote:

Yes, there is a tool, but I don't know the name of it. It is some sort of
twisting router, the squiggles through the ground .

Call a local rental store and tell them what you need.

Good Luck

--James--

After googling around i think the device i need is a "vibratory plow".
Anyone heard of this? or used one?
Eric

No. A vibratory plow will go *through* your driveway, not *under* it.

Old 28-08-2004, 12:59 PM
William W. Plummer

michelle wrote:

Eric wrote:

James Nipper wrote:

Yes, there is a tool, but I don't know the name of it. It is some
sort of
twisting router, the squiggles through the ground .

Call a local rental store and tell them what you need.

Good Luck

--James--

After googling around i think the device i need is a "vibratory plow".
Anyone heard of this? or used one?
Eric

No. A vibratory plow will go *through* your driveway, not *under* it.

I haven't tried it, but I was advised to use an ordinary garden hose
with a strong nozzle on it to eat a hole under the driveway.