Old 23-05-2011, 02:28 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Water-pipe under path

I would like to get a 1/2in plastic pipe (for watering)
under the 3ft 6in wide granite-slab pathway in my front-garden.

Is there any clever way of doing this?
I don't want to lift the slabs,
which I assume have been there for 150 years.

--
Timothy Murphy
e-mail: gayleard /at/ eircom.net
Old 23-05-2011, 02:38 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Timothy Murphy" wrote in message
I would like to get a 1/2in plastic pipe (for watering)
under the 3ft 6in wide granite-slab pathway in my front-garden.

Is there any clever way of doing this?
I don't want to lift the slabs,
which I assume have been there for 150 years.

--
Timothy Murphy
e-mail: gayleard /at/ eircom.net
tel: +353-86-2336090, +353-1-2842366

1) Dig a pit either side and excavate to the middle

2) Got a friendly Gas/Electric/Water man who will Mole under it for you?

3) Use the jet from yours or your friend's Power Washer to bore a hole
through. (Subject to the soil being suitable. You might have to go a bit
deep to miss any hardcore)

4) ;-) Live with what you are doing now????? ;-}

Mike

It's nice to be important, but it's more important to be nice.

Old 23-05-2011, 02:56 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 23/05/2011 14:28, Timothy Murphy wrote:
I would like to get a 1/2in plastic pipe (for watering)
under the 3ft 6in wide granite-slab pathway in my front-garden.

Is there any clever way of doing this?
I don't want to lift the slabs,
which I assume have been there for 150 years.

Assuming there is nothing else by way of mains services under it then
you should be able to dig down either side and effectively drill into
the sub soil with a say a 22mm x 1m long masonry drill. You will have to
undercut the edges slightly or just be brutal to get the last few inches
of length and might have to drive in a copper pipe as support if the
soil is sandy and prone to collapse. I'm on brick like solid clay.

Regards,
Martin Brown
Old 23-05-2011, 04:18 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Timothy Murphy" wrote

I would like to get a 1/2in plastic pipe (for watering)
under the 3ft 6in wide granite-slab pathway in my front-garden.

Is there any clever way of doing this?
I don't want to lift the slabs,
which I assume have been there for 150 years.

I have used a larger bore rigid plastic pipe to drill under a path to lay
electric cable from one side to another. Might work for you but depends on
the situation. I cut sharp points like saw teeth onto one end of the pipe
and a hole through the other end to take a "T" piece for a grip then
gradually pushed it through rotating it as it went to cut through the soil,
you have to pull it back to clear the earth out every now and then. Luckily
there were no large stones.

--
Regards
Bob Hobden

Old 23-05-2011, 04:52 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Trench out either side.
Get a 4ft length of scaffold pole or steel pipe and bash through to form a
sleeve for the water pipe.

mark

Old 23-05-2011, 11:42 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Bob Hobden wrote:

I would like to get a 1/2in plastic pipe (for watering)
under the 3ft 6in wide granite-slab pathway in my front-garden.

Is there any clever way of doing this?

I have used a larger bore rigid plastic pipe to drill under a path to lay
electric cable from one side to another. Might work for you but depends on
the situation. I cut sharp points like saw teeth onto one end of the pipe
and a hole through the other end to take a "T" piece for a grip then
gradually pushed it through rotating it as it went to cut through the
soil

Thanks for all the suggestions.
I'll try this one first, and see how I get on.

--
Timothy Murphy
e-mail: gayleard /at/ eircom.net
tel: +353-86-2336090, +353-1-2842366

Protective finish for bamboo water pipe. john royce United Kingdom 6 12-06-2009 04:22 AM
Water Pipe Goju Gardening 4 30-10-2007 10:12 AM
Water supply pipe, diameter and flow drop? Chris Wilson United Kingdom 3 04-04-2007 07:49 AM
Hole in Water Pipe pixi Ponds (alternative) 2 11-06-2006 06:21 PM
running pipe under driveway Eric Lawns 12 28-08-2004 12:59 PM