Old 11-08-2014, 08:00 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Knotweed running under drive/patio

Hi,

I've spent the last week digging and sifting the rhizome system of an infestation of Japanese knotweed.

however I've now come up against the fact that it is running underneath the driveway/patio.

I thought i had caught it before it would have spread there (and indeed it is relatively clear) however there was one 'crown' perhaps a meter at the closest point to the patio and as a result there two main roots heading off directly underneath the driveway and patio.

I'll take the bricks and patio slabs up if nothing else presents itself but if anyone has any help/tips for removing/killing a root system underneath non-diggable area it would be *greatly* appreciated.

Old 11-08-2014, 08:22 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article ,
says...

Hi,

I've spent the last week digging and sifting the rhizome system of an infestation of Japanese knotweed.

however I've now come up against the fact that it is running underneath the driveway/patio.

I thought i had caught it before it would have spread there (and indeed it is relatively clear) however there was one 'crown' perhaps a meter at the closest point to the patio and as a result there two main roots heading off directly underneath the driveway and patio.

I'll take the bricks and patio slabs up if nothing else presents itself but if anyone has any help/tips for removing/killing a root system underneath non-diggable area it would be *greatly* appreciated.

https://www.rhs.org.uk/advice/profile?PID=218

We eradicated a wall to wall solid infestation of JKW from a son's
garden by cutting the lot to ground level (in full growth)then
persistently cutting off ALL new growth at a couple of inches high
before new leaves opened, so it couldn't photosynthesise and slowly
starved its root system to death. It took a couple of seasons.

Remember you can't legally bin or move JKW waste off your premises ;
best to just dry it and burn.

Janet.
Old 11-08-2014, 08:35 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 11/08/2014 20:00, Tam Inglis wrote:
Hi,

I've spent the last week digging and sifting the rhizome system of
an infestation of Japanese knotweed.

however I've now come up against the fact that it is running
underneath the driveway/patio.

I thought i had caught it before it would have spread there (and
indeed it is relatively clear) however there was one 'crown'
perhaps a meter at the closest point to the patio and as a result
there two main roots heading off directly underneath the driveway
and patio.

I'll take the bricks and patio slabs up if nothing else presents
itself but if anyone has any help/tips for removing/killing a root
system underneath non-diggable area it would be *greatly*
appreciated.

Glyphosate. I lopped the canes in late summer or early autumn and
poured or sprayed a little solution into the hollow centre of the
stumps. Any spindly growth that came up next year was sprayed.

Digging is not recommended. The roots go deep and if you miss a piece
it /will/ be back.
--
Phil Cook
Old 11-08-2014, 08:38 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message , Tam
Inglis writes
Hi,

I've spent the last week digging and sifting the rhizome system of an
infestation of Japanese knotweed.

however I've now come up against the fact that it is running underneath
the driveway/patio.

I thought i had caught it before it would have spread there (and indeed
it is relatively clear) however there was one 'crown' perhaps a meter
at the closest point to the patio and as a result there two main roots
heading off directly underneath the driveway and patio.

I'll take the bricks and patio slabs up if nothing else presents itself
but if anyone has any help/tips for removing/killing a root system
underneath non-diggable area it would be *greatly* appreciated.

Wait for it to shoot then inject neat glyphosate into the stems, Spring
or Autumn.
--
bert
Old 11-08-2014, 08:40 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message , Phil Cook
writes
[...]

Needs to be dug out to 3 metres+
Material must go to licensed tip - see EA website.
--
bert

Old 11-08-2014, 10:46 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Tam Inglis" wrote in message
Hi,

I've spent the last week digging and sifting the rhizome system of an
infestation of Japanese knotweed.

however I've now come up against the fact that it is running underneath the
driveway/patio.

I thought i had caught it before it would have spread there (and indeed it
is relatively clear) however there was one 'crown' perhaps a meter at the
closest point to the patio and as a result there two main roots heading off
directly underneath the driveway and patio.

I'll take the bricks and patio slabs up if nothing else presents itself but
if anyone has any help/tips for removing/killing a root system underneath
non-diggable area it would be *greatly* appreciated.

Please stop digging at it, you will only make matters worse.

Either keep cutting it before it makes any leaves (make sure you burn what
you cut off, never bin it) or use Roundup type weed killer, there is plenty
of advice online as to when and how, I prefer the squirting it down the cut
stem approach, which ever way you chose remember it will take at least two
seasons and possibly 3.

--
Charlie, Gardening in Cornwall
and Lapageria rosea cvs

Old 12-08-2014, 08:35 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Thanks guys. As for stop digging thats not really an option as im at the end.

Each spade full was placed on a 6x2foot plyboard and manually "sifted" moving the soil/spoil by hand across it removing anything even remotely organic of any size let alone a 2-3cm piece.

Not naive enough to think I have it all but surely a small piece regrowing will die off quicker by treating *that* with chemicals and (I love this idea) preventing photosynthesis than some of the some one foot long and two inches thick roots ive pulled up/removed.

Still left with the driveway but i feel i will wait for it to grow and attack it then.
Old 12-08-2014, 09:35 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Mon, 11 Aug 2014 20:22:08 +0100, Janet wrote:

We eradicated a wall to wall solid infestation of JKW from a son's
garden by cutting the lot to ground level (in full growth)then
persistently cutting off ALL new growth at a couple of inches high
before new leaves opened, so it couldn't photosynthesise and slowly
starved its root system to death. It took a couple of seasons.

Remember you can't legally bin or move JKW waste off your premises ;
best to just dry it and burn.

Janet.

That's what I did last year with most. There is still a clump of JKW
by one the garden fences but it look quite nice so I'm leaving it.

Steve

--
Neural Network Software http://www.npsnn.com
EasyNN-plus More than just a neural network http://www.easynn.com

Old 12-08-2014, 11:09 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 12/08/2014 09:35, Stephen Wolstenholme wrote:

That's what I did last year with most. There is still a clump of JKW
by one the garden fences but it look quite nice so I'm leaving it.

You are out of your tiny mind.
:-(

---

Old 12-08-2014, 11:25 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 12/08/2014 11:09, Ragnar wrote:
On 12/08/2014 09:35, Stephen Wolstenholme wrote:

That's what I did last year with most. There is still a clump of JKW
by one the garden fences but it look quite nice so I'm leaving it.

You are out of your tiny mind.
:-(

---
protection is active.

If it can be contained then it is a very attractive plant, though I
doubt if you have ever looked closely at it in flower.
It's easy to see why plant collectors went for it.
There is a variegated form
http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/showimage/283104/

Old 12-08-2014, 12:18 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Tue, 12 Aug 2014 11:09:42 +0100, Ragnar wrote:

On 12/08/2014 09:35, Stephen Wolstenholme wrote:

That's what I did last year with most. There is still a clump of JKW
by one the garden fences but it look quite nice so I'm leaving it.

You are out of your tiny mind.

I like JKW and so I don't consider it to be a problem. I have a few
plants that are more troublesome, the worse one to me is grass.

Steve

Old 12-08-2014, 12:50 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"David Hill" wrote
If it can be contained then it is a very attractive plant, though I
doubt if you have ever looked closely at it in flower.
It's easy to see why plant collectors went for it.
There is a variegated form
http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/showimage/283104/

That just looks diseased.
--
Regards. Bob Hobden.

Old 13-08-2014, 12:21 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 12/08/2014 11:27, Martin wrote:
On Tue, 12 Aug 2014 11:09:42 +0100, Ragnar wrote:

No antivirus software catches all viruses. You shouldn't make a claim that your
email is free from viruses. You might find yourself being made responsible if
you pass on a virus.

Avast turned that on without asking anyone. You have to go into the
settings and turn it off by hand. They're becoming a PITA like that,
enough to put me off them.

Andy
Old 17-08-2014, 09:44 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 12/08/2014 11:09, Ragnar wrote:
On 12/08/2014 09:35, Stephen Wolstenholme wrote:

That's what I did last year with most. There is still a clump of JKW
by one the garden fences but it look quite nice so I'm leaving it.

You are out of your tiny mind.
:-(

I was thinking about this.

Perhaps the following might be of interest - if you have knotweed your
house is almost certainly unsaleable, and possibly uninsurable.

Andy

Old 18-08-2014, 08:58 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 17/08/14 21:44, Vir Campestris wrote:

Perhaps the following might be of interest - if you have knotweed your
house is almost certainly unsaleable, and possibly uninsurable.

With all due respect, that view is overblown hysteria.

Knotweed is not ebola.

It is killable - although it needs a programme that is followed properly
for 2-3 years. It is even DIY killable needing a combination of physical
intervention and treatment with glyphosate.

I also know of a recent property sale where knotweed featured where
there was no issue with sale or insurance. Sure, it was flagged up -
that is right an proper.

But the managing agents had put a treatment programme in place and
everyone was happy.

Craftsman front wheel drive mower won't drive. Pete E. Kruzer Gardening 1 23-05-2007 04:07 PM
drive/patio JennyC United Kingdom 0 30-04-2006 05:02 PM
running pipe under driveway Eric Lawns 12 28-08-2004 12:59 PM
Japanes Knotweed at Kew Gardens ? eddy United Kingdom 0 07-02-2003 07:12 PM