Old 08-09-2004, 10:52 PM
Ted Shoemaker

Default looking for a sturdy "natural" lawn

Hello,

I have recently read a little about natural landscaping -- that is,
using indigenous plants. There are plenty of benefits.

If someone here could help me with a problem, I would appreciate it:
As far as I can tell, none of the local indigenous plants makes a
sturdy lawn.

I live in Madison, Wisconsin. The native plants here include
prairie grasses, wildflowers, and deciduous trees.

When you step on turf grass, it springs back immediately. You can't
do that with prairie grasses and wildflowers. To the contrary, we see
signs that say things like "Stay on the trail! The wild plants are
fragile!"

What would you recommend for a natural lawn in Madison, Wisconsin?

Thank you very much!

Ted Shoemaker
Old 08-09-2004, 11:24 PM
Pam - gardengal

"Ted Shoemaker" wrote in message
om...
Hello,

I have recently read a little about natural landscaping -- that is,
using indigenous plants. There are plenty of benefits.

If someone here could help me with a problem, I would appreciate it:
As far as I can tell, none of the local indigenous plants makes a
sturdy lawn.

I live in Madison, Wisconsin. The native plants here include
prairie grasses, wildflowers, and deciduous trees.

When you step on turf grass, it springs back immediately. You can't
do that with prairie grasses and wildflowers. To the contrary, we see
signs that say things like "Stay on the trail! The wild plants are
fragile!"

What would you recommend for a natural lawn in Madison, Wisconsin?

Thank you very much!

Ted Shoemaker

It is difficult to replicate the effect of turf grasses with indigenous
plants. Big expanses of lawns are a totally artificial gardening construct,
ie., they do not occur naturally, only under cultivation. The best I could
suggest is buffalo grass, Buchloe dactyloides, which is native of the low
grass prairies and is used as a turf grass in high drought areas or to plant
a meadow of native grasses and wildflowers and mow only in those areas where
access is necessary or desired.

If you use the buffalo grass, you will still need to maintain it like other
turf grasses to get the "lawn" effect.

http://www.easywildflowers.com/quality/buc.dacty.htm

pam - gardengal

Old 09-09-2004, 12:07 AM
Warren

Ted Shoemaker wrote:
I have recently read a little about natural landscaping -- that is,
using indigenous plants. There are plenty of benefits.

If someone here could help me with a problem, I would appreciate it:
As far as I can tell, none of the local indigenous plants makes a
sturdy lawn.

I live in Madison, Wisconsin. The native plants here include
prairie grasses, wildflowers, and deciduous trees.

When you step on turf grass, it springs back immediately. You can't
do that with prairie grasses and wildflowers. To the contrary, we see
signs that say things like "Stay on the trail! The wild plants are
fragile!"

What would you recommend for a natural lawn in Madison, Wisconsin?

What you plant depends on how you use your lawn. Is it a playground for
the kids? Is it a shortcut that's constantly walked over? Is it space
between flower beds? Is a window facing it the focal point of a room? Or
is it just a large open space that does nothing?

If all you want is a big open space that looks like a "lawn", then stick
with turf grass. Otherwise, what you plant depends on how you want your
"lawn" to function.

--
Warren H.

==========
to go outside now.
Blatant Plug: Cooking with Intense Heat
http://www.holzemville.com/community...eat/index.html

Old 09-09-2004, 02:07 PM
Bill Oliver

In article PEL%c.149326$Fg5.100460@attbi_s53,
Pam - gardengal wrote:

If you use the buffalo grass, you will still need to maintain it like other
turf grasses to get the "lawn" effect.

http://www.easywildflowers.com/quality/buc.dacty.htm

The other thing to think about is how much traffic most of the lawn
actually gets. I'm in the process of replacing a large lawn
the previous owners of my house maintained. I am planting it
with natural plants, mulched garden, and alternative groundcover.
I am not raising a soccer team, and most of the the actual tread
wear on most of the lawn occurs when I cut it. I can easily and
safely replace most of the grass with groundcover that is not
extremely tolerant of foot traffic, but can handle it on an
occasional basis.

billo

Old 10-09-2004, 02:54 AM
Peter H

Ted Shoemaker wrote:
Hello,

I have recently read a little about natural landscaping -- that is,
using indigenous plants. There are plenty of benefits.

If someone here could help me with a problem, I would appreciate it:
As far as I can tell, none of the local indigenous plants makes a
sturdy lawn.

I live in Madison, Wisconsin. The native plants here include
prairie grasses, wildflowers, and deciduous trees.

When you step on turf grass, it springs back immediately. You can't
do that with prairie grasses and wildflowers. To the contrary, we see
signs that say things like "Stay on the trail! The wild plants are
fragile!"

What would you recommend for a natural lawn in Madison, Wisconsin?

Thank you very much!

Ted Shoemaker

Level the ground and wait to see what comes up. Then wack the weeds. In
a month wack 'em again. In a year or so you will have a natural lawn.

Good luck with it.

Peter H

Sturdy Greenhouses Mel[_7_] United Kingdom 13 12-03-2007 01:05 PM
Keeping a natural area, natural aggiecon Plant Science 2 13-12-2004 07:05 PM
looking for a sturdy "natural" lawn Ted Shoemaker Gardening 4 10-09-2004 02:54 AM
Sturdy hibiscus Zemedelec Gardening 3 27-12-2003 04:42 PM
Sturdy roses Undine Roses 2 22-11-2003 09:02 PM