Old 10-03-2007, 07:38 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Sturdy Greenhouses

I'm in the process of buying a small greenhouse. I'm looking for a very
sturdy frame because it'll be put in a windy location - the frame on my
previous greenhouse bent in the January wind storms, therefore all the glass
broke.

The Fawts Solar looks like it has a strudy frame. Does anyone have any
experience of this greenhouse?

Also, anyone have any experience with the Gardman polycarbonate greenhouses?
I'm wondering if these might be better as there's no glass to smash.

I'd appreciate any advice or recommendations on sturdy greenhouses.

Many thanks in advance.

Old 10-03-2007, 09:08 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Registered User

Location: South Wales

On 10 Mar, 19:38, "Mel" wrote:
I'm in the process of buying a small greenhouse. I'm looking for a very
sturdy frame because it'll be put in a windy location - the frame on my
previous greenhouse bent in the January wind storms, therefore all the glass
broke.

The Fawts Solar looks like it has a strudy frame. Does anyone have any
experience of this greenhouse?

Also, anyone have any experience with the Gardman polycarbonate greenhouses?
I'm wondering if these might be better as there's no glass to smash.

I'd appreciate any advice or recommendations on sturdy greenhouses.

Many thanks in advance.

Polycarb cladding is a lot lighter than Glass and has a better
insulation property in the winter.
It will add considerable strength to the structure, but you must make
sure that you have the greenhouse anchored firmly to its base.
Why not put up a fence or a wind break a few feet away to keep the
worst of the wind off the greenhouse.
David Hill
Abacus Nurseries

Old 10-03-2007, 10:40 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
K K is offline

Malcolm writes
Having lost a glass glazed greenhouse in a storm 8 years ago (and found
shards of glass scattered over the garden 30 feet or more away), I
replaced it with a twinwall polycarbonate glazed greenhouse which
lasted pretty well, finally giving way on New Year's Eve when it blew
over in winds which were gusting in excess of 85 mph. Some of the
sheets of polycarbonate disappeared out to sea! It was attached with
clips to a metal frame concreted into the ground. I've now purchased a
greenhouse of the same size (6'3" by 8'5") which I can bolt to the
same frame, which stayed put, and am expecting at least 8 years life
from it :-)

Nice to see you back. I was thinking earlier today that we hadn't seen
you in a while.
--
Kay
Old 10-03-2007, 11:06 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Dave Hill" wrote :
I'm in the process of buying a small greenhouse. I'm looking for a very
sturdy frame because it'll be put in a windy location - the frame on my

Polycarb cladding is a lot lighter than Glass and has a better
Why not put up a fence or a wind break a few feet away to keep the
worst of the wind off the greenhouse.

Thanks for your reply, David. My greenhouse is in the only possible
location in my garden and, although there is a fence a few feet away, we're
exposed at the top of a hill so the fence isn't much help. I'm thinking
that polycarb might be more bendable so less chance of it breaking if the
greenhouse frame flexes.

Old 10-03-2007, 11:13 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Malcolm" wrote
I'm in the process of buying a small greenhouse. I'm looking for a very
sturdy frame because it'll be put in a windy location

Having lost a glass glazed greenhouse in a storm 8 years ago ... I
replaced it with a twinwall polycarbonate glazed greenhouse ... I've now
purchased a greenhouse of the same size (6'3" by 8'5") which I can bolt
to the same frame,

Hi, Malcolm, thanks for your reply. Have you replaced your polycarbornate
with glass? The problem I've had is that the frame on my greenhouse is
quite flimsy and so it bends in high winds and of course the glass then
shatters. I thought that polycarb might be less inclined to break if the
greenhouse frame moves. I also like the Elite greenhouses, but I've only
seen photos of them online.

Old 11-03-2007, 08:37 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Mel" wrote in message
"Malcolm" wrote
I'm in the process of buying a small greenhouse. I'm looking for a very
sturdy frame because it'll be put in a windy location

Having lost a glass glazed greenhouse in a storm 8 years ago ... I
replaced it with a twinwall polycarbonate glazed greenhouse ... I've now

purchased a greenhouse of the same size (6'3" by 8'5") which I can bolt

to the same frame,

Hi, Malcolm, thanks for your reply. Have you replaced your polycarbornate
with glass? The problem I've had is that the frame on my greenhouse is
quite flimsy and so it bends in high winds and of course the glass then
shatters. I thought that polycarb might be less inclined to break if the
greenhouse frame moves. I also like the Elite greenhouses, but I've only
seen photos of them online.

In my experience its the glass in small GH's that give the strength. I have
also noticed that the structures of the larger greenhouses (10x8 +) are much
better supplied with cross bracing.
I would add my own cross bracing (you may find some manufactures can supply
purpose built braces) and go for safety glass, its a lot stronger and safer
(although its also a lot more expensive)
I have been very happy with the AGL magnums and have 4 of them in total

--
Charlie, gardening in Cornwall.
http://www.roselandhouse.co.uk

Old 11-03-2007, 12:39 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article , Mel
writes

I also like the Elite greenhouses, but I've only
seen photos of them online.

I'd want to know how the panels of polycarbonate are sealed so insects
and water don't get down into the channels.
Great idea would be to have a propagating end to a greenhouse that has
polycarbonate whilst the rest has safety glass!
--
Janet Tweedy
Dalmatian Telegraph
Old 11-03-2007, 12:57 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article , Charlie Pridham
writes

I have been very happy with the AGL magnums and have 4 of them in total

6 foot width seems very narrow for a greenhouse Charlie? Or are those on
a different link?
Old 11-03-2007, 02:08 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Registered User

Location: South Wales

I'd want to know how the panels of polycarbonate are sealed so insects
and water don't get down into the channels.
Great idea would be to have a propagating end to a greenhouse that has
polycarbonate whilst the rest has safety glass!
--
Janet Tweedy
Dalmatian Telegraphhttp://www.lancedal.demon.co.uk

You can get end caps for the sheets, but you can just tape them with a
GOOD tape.
Why would you want safety glass?
Whilst polycarb does let in slightly less light than New, Clean glass
this is normally compensated for in commercial houses by needing less
glazing bars, and less steel in the framework as it doesn't have the
weight to support.

David Hill
Abacus Nurseries

Old 12-03-2007, 07:36 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Janet Tweedy" wrote in message
In article , Charlie Pridham
writes

I have been very happy with the AGL magnums and have 4 of them in total

6 foot width seems very narrow for a greenhouse Charlie? Or are those on
a different link?
--
Janet Tweedy
Dalmatian Telegraph
http://www.lancedal.demon.co.uk

Sorry did I say 6'?, didn't mean to, mine are 8X14 the smaller agl ranges
are rubbish they are very flimsy. I wouldn't mind seeing a polycarbonate
structure to see how the stuff is kept in place as it would be easier than
insulating the glass with bubble wrap!

--
Charlie, gardening in Cornwall.
http://www.roselandhouse.co.uk
Lapageria rosea

looking for a sturdy "natural" lawn Ted Shoemaker Lawns 4 10-09-2004 02:54 AM
looking for a sturdy "natural" lawn Ted Shoemaker Gardening 4 10-09-2004 02:54 AM
Sturdy hibiscus Zemedelec Gardening 3 27-12-2003 04:42 PM
Sturdy roses Undine Roses 2 22-11-2003 09:02 PM
Greenhouses Julie Gardening 2 02-02-2003 06:34 PM