Old 11-10-2004, 01:36 AM
MPost

Default Mushrooms in my lawn

Because this summer was so wet in my area, I've had a moderate problem with
mushrooms in my lawn. They mostly are golf ball-sized or smaller, but on
occasion I've gotten ones bigger than a baseball. The big question is, what
do I do about them? They generally survive my weekly mowings since when I
mow, I leave my grass rather tall. I've been going around popping the caps
off, but I don't know if that's just serving to spread the spores around
more. And, I'm assuming the right thing to do is to solve the underlying
problem with excess moisture in my grass, but how? The lawn in most other
respects seems to be doing fine.

Old 11-10-2004, 02:08 AM
quadroon

When your lawn dries out the mushrooms will disappear. Do not worry,
they are causing no harm.

Old 11-10-2004, 02:11 AM
WORSS

Dry laundry detergent. Just sprinkle a little on the area with the
mushrooms and they will be gone within a few days. Don't ask me why it
works, but it works great and will not do any damage to your lawn.

Bill

Old 11-10-2004, 03:39 AM
MPost

Thanks for the suggestion. I'm going to have to try this one, if nothing
more than to satisfy my curiosity.

Old 11-10-2004, 02:14 PM
William W. Plummer

MPost wrote:

Because this summer was so wet in my area, I've had a moderate problem with
mushrooms in my lawn. They mostly are golf ball-sized or smaller, but on
occasion I've gotten ones bigger than a baseball. The big question is, what
do I do about them? They generally survive my weekly mowings since when I
mow, I leave my grass rather tall. I've been going around popping the caps
off, but I don't know if that's just serving to spread the spores around
more. And, I'm assuming the right thing to do is to solve the underlying
problem with excess moisture in my grass, but how? The lawn in most other
respects seems to be doing fine.

Use real (construction) lime. Pulverized limestone will not work
within your lifetime.

Old 11-10-2004, 06:26 PM
Registered User

Location: London, UK

Really? I'll give it a go if you're sure - I look after a number of lawns and only one of them is suffering from mushrooms (although I suspect I know why, it doesn't make me feel any better about it). Out of curiosity, how did you find out that laundry powder works?

Emma

Quote:
Originally Posted by WORSS
Dry laundry detergent. Just sprinkle a little on the area with the
mushrooms and they will be gone within a few days. Don't ask me why it
works, but it works great and will not do any damage to your lawn.

Bill

[/i][/color]

Old 12-10-2004, 01:28 AM
Peter H

MPost wrote:

Because this summer was so wet in my area, I've had a moderate problem with
mushrooms in my lawn. They mostly are golf ball-sized or smaller, but on
occasion I've gotten ones bigger than a baseball. The big question is, what
do I do about them? They generally survive my weekly mowings since when I
mow, I leave my grass rather tall. I've been going around popping the caps
off, but I don't know if that's just serving to spread the spores around
more. And, I'm assuming the right thing to do is to solve the underlying
problem with excess moisture in my grass, but how? The lawn in most other
respects seems to be doing fine.

Mushrooms are caused by wood decaying in the soil. Remove the wood and
the mushrooms will disappear as well.

Peter H
Old 12-10-2004, 05:07 PM
WORSS

I'm not sure how I found out. Heard it years ago on one of those lawn
shows...maybe Gerry Baker? Anyway, I have done it and it works great. It
turns the mushrooms black and they die quickly.

Bill

WORSS Wrote:
Dry laundry detergent. Just sprinkle a little on the area with the
mushrooms and they will be gone within a few days. Don't ask me why
it
works, but it works great and will not do any damage to your lawn.

Bill

--
HedgeWytch[/i][/color]