Old 23-10-2004, 12:26 AM
James Nipper

Default Lawn irrigation valves - cost?

It sounds high to me, but I live in Florida, far away from the Left Coast.

By the way, controllers are only $35.

--James--
Old 23-10-2004, 03:06 AM
Dandelion Acres

In a construction project, you generally will pay far less for materials
than for the labor and expertise of installation. How much time will this
take? Do you know what the costs are for taxes, insurance, contractors
license, vehicles, wages. Not getting an itemized estimate may be for the
bidders ease, or to prevent people from using a bid as a free design service
so they can then go to Lowes and do it themselves.

Get more bids.

"macglade" wrote in message
ink.net...
I just received a bid for a landscaping project which includes 840 sq ft

of
lawn. I was quoted $700 PER VALVE installed. Since he does not itemize

PVC
and connectors (although they must be very cheap) I assume they are

included
in this. I have not discussed yet with the bidder. A couple of

questions:

Are the valves those units which sit on top of all the vertical pipes and
control electronically the release of water, based on signals from the
controller (which I was quoted $350 for)?

I've checked prices on the web and they range from $20 to $350.

The $700 strikes me as VERY high. Now, I live in Northern California

where
a dumpy 40 yr old 3 BR 1 1/2 Bath ranch (1700 sq ft) on 1/4 acre goes for
$1MM (no kidding) so I'm (sadly) used to outrageous prices. But this

seems
beyond the pale.

Am I getting ripped off?

By way of comparison, other items were priced at: $20 per facing feet of
dry stacked stone wall or pressure treated wood, sod at $1 per sq ft,

French
drain installed at $10 per linear feet

Thanks in advance

Old 24-10-2004, 02:31 AM
JD

700.00 a zone sounds right to me. Especially if he is including a
controller, the backflow assembly, the rain gauge, and any inspections by
your local municipality. In Raleigh, NC, the cost per zone is running
around 500.00 a zone. Some municipalities around Raleigh are higher due to
inspections and submittals (review of drawings prior to installation). As
an installer, I would say that his price is probably justified. Ensure that
you are getting a good warranty; find out how long the installer has been in
business, and also get a list of customers he has installed for...as well as
has done repairs (service) for.

If he is a landscaper...make sure he isn't subcontracting the work to
someone else. If so, then you will probably be asking for a headache later,
cause once its installed, and the warranty period is over, you will be
looking for a new company to repair/maintain it.

Good luck. Email me with questions.

Jason
Cary, NC

"macglade" wrote in message
[...]