Old 23-10-2004, 09:41 PM
Eric

Default moss in gutters

Hi,
I have one trouble spot where every year a fist sized clump of moss grows
and forces water in the gutter to be redirected to the side, thereby going
into the crack of my clay roofing tiles and leaking through the roof.
My thought is to get a strip of zinc about 2"x6"x.125" and lay it in the
gutter at the trouble spot.
Where can i get some zinc strips?
Do you think it will work ok?
BTW:
I'm located in the "Great Northwet" (Seattle area),
the moss capitol of the world.
Thanks
Eric

Old 24-10-2004, 12:10 AM
Phisherman

On Sat, 23 Oct 2004 20:41:07 GMT, Eric wrote:

Hi,
I have one trouble spot where every year a fist sized clump of moss grows
and forces water in the gutter to be redirected to the side, thereby going
into the crack of my clay roofing tiles and leaking through the roof.
My thought is to get a strip of zinc about 2"x6"x.125" and lay it in the
gutter at the trouble spot.
Where can i get some zinc strips?
Do you think it will work ok?
BTW:
I'm located in the "Great Northwet" (Seattle area),
the moss capitol of the world.
Thanks
Eric

Moss does not like any kind of metal ions (I'm thinking your gutters
are not metal). I would suggest cleaning the area twice a year (by
hand) and using an anti-moss or moss-killer. You could try making a
spray yourself with Mule Team Borax (1/4 c.) dissolved in a pint of
warm water.
Old 24-10-2004, 08:46 AM
Barney

Phisherman had
writtennews:jnoln01nj3kcqhbrs14iuakvnfkk94uvm9@4ax .com:

I'm located in the "Great Northwet" (Seattle area),
the moss capitol of the world.
Thanks
Eric

Moss does not like any kind of metal ions (I'm thinking your
gutters are not metal). I would suggest cleaning the area twice a
year (by hand) and using an anti-moss or moss-killer. You could
try making a spray yourself with Mule Team Borax (1/4 c.)
dissolved in a pint of warm water.

Zinc strips can be bought at most hardware stores. The trick is to
get rid of the moss first as noted above and the zinc will limit the
return. There is no total prevention but zinc does work. I live on
Vancouver Island and think we take your title away. The wet coast
but wetter.

--
Barney __________________________________________________ ________
Old 07-12-2004, 06:42 PM
Ronald Carter

In a previous posting, Usenet was endowed with the following text from
Eric :

Hi,
I have one trouble spot where every year a fist sized clump of moss grows
and forces water in the gutter to be redirected to the side, thereby going
into the crack of my clay roofing tiles and leaking through the roof.
My thought is to get a strip of zinc about 2"x6"x.125" and lay it in the
gutter at the trouble spot.
Where can i get some zinc strips?
Do you think it will work ok?
BTW:
I'm located in the "Great Northwet" (Seattle area),
the moss capitol of the world.
Thanks
Eric

Try using some anti-fowling paint used on boat hulls to resist microbial
growth on the hulls. Should work for gutters, don't you think?
Old 07-12-2004, 07:34 PM
willshak

On 12/7/2004 1:42 PM US(ET), Ronald Carter took fingers to keys, and
typed the following:

[...]

Well, anti-fowling paint should certainly keep chickens and turkeys off
the gutters, don't you think? :-)