Old 17-12-2004, 01:09 AM
effi

Default swingset chain in oak tree limb

oak tree limb about 8 inches in diameter has a section of swingset chain
inside it now, bark grew over chain and chain cannot be pulled loose now

will chain posion tree?

Old 17-12-2004, 01:42 AM
Srgnt Billko

No

Old 17-12-2004, 02:02 AM
Steveo

"Srgnt Billko" wrote:
No

"effi" wrote in message
oak tree limb about 8 inches in diameter has a section of swingset
chain inside it now, bark grew over chain and chain cannot be pulled
loose now

will chain posion tree?

The limb will fail long before it hurts the tree. Just cut off as much
is practical without digging into the bark. I've had wire fence grow
into the side of the trunk on silver maples and they still are fine.

If you see the limb dying, just cut it off.
Old 17-12-2004, 04:21 AM
timothy

On Thu, 16 Dec 2004 19:09:40 -0600, effi wrote:

oak tree limb about 8 inches in diameter has a section of swingset chain
inside it now, bark grew over chain and chain cannot be pulled loose now

will chain posion tree?

Posion the tree, no. Choke the life out of the limb, yes. What I've done
in the past is to take a 1/2 inch chisel and chisel through a link.
Swingset chain, dog chain, fencing or guy cables, I've cut them all this
way. After the link is broken, the tree will be able to expand as it
grows, instead of being choked to death. Don't worry about removing the
chain, the damage will be much worse.
If the chain is deeply embedded in to the branch, then I'd cut two links.
One on each side of the limb.
HtH

Old 18-12-2004, 11:30 PM
meirman

In alt.home.lawn.garden on Thu, 16 Dec 2004 19:09:40 -0600 "effi"
posted:

oak tree limb about 8 inches in diameter has a section of swingset chain
inside it now, bark grew over chain and chain cannot be pulled loose now

will chain posion tree?

A long time ago, we left the support wires around a tree trunk while
the trunk grew. When we noticed, the wire was buried below the bark.

Called the Indiana University Extension and he said to ignore it now
because the trunk was already growing outside the wires. You can hunt
on these terms: iirc it is the xylem and phloem that carry stuff from
the earth to the leaves and the other direction. They live just below
the bark, and once they have established themselves on the outside of
the wire, etc, you're fine, I think. Maybe this doesn't always
happen, but it sounds like it has already happeneed in your case.

Of course the tree under the bark doesn't get bigger. It's just that
more tree is added on the outside.

(( lot of states give yard and planting advice, etc. via an extension
of their state university, with a live human being. I would start
here first however, so you don't waste their time with simple
questions and so you have better questions to ask on complicated
topics.)

Meirman

If emailing, please let me know whether
or not you are posting the same letter.