Old 31-05-2005, 11:10 PM
NancyP

Default Golden Chain Tree won't bloom

I have a 5 year old Golden Chain tree ( thats what the nursery tag
said) and though it is growing each year it never has bloomed. The
tree just has two petal yellow "flowers" each spring randomly in the
foliage. I am in Ffld County ct - I have never pruned the tree.
Anyone know how to get it to bloom? Thanks, Nancy P.

Old 01-06-2005, 12:59 AM
David Bockman

"NancyP" wrote in
oups.com:

I have a 5 year old Golden Chain tree ( thats what the nursery tag
said) and though it is growing each year it never has bloomed. The
tree just has two petal yellow "flowers" each spring randomly in the
foliage. I am in Ffld County ct - I have never pruned the tree.
Anyone know how to get it to bloom? Thanks, Nancy P.

Hi Nancy,

While I have no firsthand experience growing Laburnum, I did see them at
the nursery at which I worked. They seem easy to please culturally, here is
what Dirr has to say about them:

"CULTU Transplant balled-and-burlapped or container-grown in spring as
a small tree into moist, well-drained soil; the plant is adaptable to many
situations but prefers light shade in the hot part of the day; will not
withstand standing water; also cold injury can be a problem; withstands
high pH conditions; prune after flowering; should be looked upon as a
short-lived tree in the Midwest and probably East; not at all heat
tolerant, possibly excessively high night temperatures, and therefore not
suitable for the South, although a tree in Spartanburg, SC persists;
several newly planted trees in the Milliken Arboretum have died and the
remaining plant persists by a thread."

And, as always, whenever I see Laburnum mentioned I add:

" Seeds of LABURNUM contain an alkaloid called cytisine, which can be
fatal to children and adults. This compound is contained in all parts of
the plant. Supposedly, one small seed can prove toxic to a small child.
Extreme care should be exercised when using this plant in a public area."

Here is the famous 'Laburnum Arch' at Bodnant Gardens, Wales:
http://www.andrewjbooth.btinternet.c...t/bodnant_arch.
JPG

email:
http://beyondgardening.com/Albums
Old 30-04-2020, 05:14 PM posted to rec.gardens

replying to David Bockman, Gwen Hall wrote:
I have one that has never bloomed. A lady at my church that knows alot about
flowers, said you have to plant two so they can pollinate each other in order
for them to bloom.

--
for full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/garden...oom-37705-.htm