Old 23-03-2005, 12:11 AM
CanadianCowboy

Default Help !!! Voles in my lawn !

What do I do ?

I assume I get rid of the voles first but how do have they burrowed ?

Do I just re-seed ?

Any help would be greatly appreciated !
Old 30-03-2005, 12:45 AM
PeteGibbons

I hope you get a response, I'm in the same boat. I just got home and saw my
back yard, a 10ft by 10ft area where the snow has melted is friggin trashed.
And thats only what Ive seen so far. What do I do?

.. .

Old 30-03-2005, 01:32 AM
Steveo

"PeteGibbons" wrote:
I hope you get a response, I'm in the same boat. I just got home and saw
my back yard, a 10ft by 10ft area where the snow has melted is friggin
trashed. And thats only what Ive seen so far. What do I do?

"CanadianCowboy" wrote in message
.. .
What do I do ?

I assume I get rid of the voles first but how do have they burrowed ?

Do I just re-seed ?

Any help would be greatly appreciated !

If you're talking about moles, it's not unusual to find tunnels in
your lawn after the snow melts. The mole gets hard up for food in
the dead of winter and goes scrounging under your turf in search
of grubs, earthworms etc. Most times as the weather warms and food
becomes easier to find, they will leave your lawn and head to the
nearest wooded area.

If you see the tunneling continue to spread after the weather has
stayed warm for a few weeks, you may have to either attempt to
eliminate their food source with a control/kill strength grub control
application. (not a grub preventer treatment)

Traps are the only real way to kill the mole itself. Those sonic toys
that claim to chase them away are nothing more than snake oil.
Old 30-03-2005, 01:59 AM
PeteGibbons

Thanks, but we're not talking about moles. We're talking about voles.
They eat grass roots, etc. and live just through the winter under the snow
on top of, and just under your lawn. My lawn doesn't have a few tunnels,
its completely trashed. I'll post a link to a pic in a day or two... I'm
probably going to have to resod the thing almost entirely, and I've got
about 3500 sq ft back there! What I want to know is how to get rid of the
voles that are still there (are they? how can I tell?) and prevent this
from happening next year...

Old 30-03-2005, 02:03 AM
Steveo

?

Do I just re-seed ?

Any help would be greatly appreciated !

If you're talking about moles, it's not unusual to find tunnels in
your lawn after the snow melts. The mole gets hard up for food in
the dead of winter and goes scrounging under your turf in search
of grubs, earthworms etc. Most times as the weather warms and food
becomes easier to find, they will leave your lawn and head to the
nearest wooded area.

If you see the tunneling continue to spread after the weather has
stayed warm for a few weeks, you may have to either attempt to
eliminate their food source with a control/kill strength grub control
application. (not a grub preventer treatment)

Traps are the only real way to kill the mole itself. Those sonic toys
that claim to chase them away are nothing more than snake oil.

Traps (just like moles) or Rodenticide.

Old 31-03-2005, 06:45 AM
ToolGRL

http://www.ipm.ucdavis.edu/PMG/PESTNOTES/pn7439.html