Old 17-05-2005, 05:00 AM
Chas Hurst

Default Advise on new lawn

Last fall I murdered my lawn with roundup, roto-tilled it and had it
smoothed out by a rock hound. I planted a mix of blue grass, fesque, and
perenial rye that is the house blend from a local lawn and garden store.
It's been fertilized with 10-10-10 and well watered and for the most part
the lawn is absolutely beautiful. BUT, there are some spots that are thin
and the grass is not lush like the rest of the lawn. I'm not sure what to do
here. Some suggestions please, this is in SE PA.

Chas Hurst

Old 17-05-2005, 03:12 PM
Rolling Thunder

On Tue, 17 May 2005 00:00:16 -0400, "Chas Hurst"
wrote:

Last fall I murdered my lawn with roundup, roto-tilled it and had it
smoothed out by a rock hound. I planted a mix of blue grass, fesque, and
perenial rye that is the house blend from a local lawn and garden store.
It's been fertilized with 10-10-10 and well watered and for the most part
the lawn is absolutely beautiful. BUT, there are some spots that are thin
and the grass is not lush like the rest of the lawn. I'm not sure what to do
here. Some suggestions please, this is in SE PA.

Chas Hurst

Check out the ph factor. Likely some aeration and lime would do the
trick.

You could try a Jerry Baker tonic that is a mix of 1 can beer, 1 cup
ammonia, one can cola, and 1 cup lemon scented liquid dish soap.
A little epsom salts (1/2 cup) wouldn't hurt either with a 1/2 cup of
fish fertilizer. Put it in a 20 gal hose sprayer and soak it in.

Thunder
Old 18-05-2005, 12:47 AM
Kurt

"Rolling Thunder" wrote

You could try a Jerry Baker tonic that is a mix of 1 can beer, 1 cup
ammonia, one can cola, and 1 cup lemon scented liquid dish soap.
A little epsom salts (1/2 cup) wouldn't hurt either with a 1/2 cup of
fish fertilizer. Put it in a 20 gal hose sprayer and soak it in.

I swear that's Tammy Faye Baker's recipe for make-up.
Old 18-05-2005, 10:59 PM
Steveo

"Chas Hurst" wrote:
Last fall I murdered my lawn with roundup, roto-tilled it and had it
smoothed out by a rock hound. I planted a mix of blue grass, fesque, and
perenial rye that is the house blend from a local lawn and garden store.
It's been fertilized with 10-10-10 and well watered and for the most part
the lawn is absolutely beautiful. BUT, there are some spots that are thin
and the grass is not lush like the rest of the lawn. I'm not sure what to
do here. Some suggestions please, this is in SE PA.

Chas Hurst

Are they large areas? If not you could top-dress and re-seed.
Old 19-05-2005, 02:34 AM
Chas Hurst

"Steveo" wrote in message
"Chas Hurst" wrote:
Last fall I murdered my lawn with roundup, roto-tilled it and had it
smoothed out by a rock hound. I planted a mix of blue grass, fesque, and
perenial rye that is the house blend from a local lawn and garden

store.
It's been fertilized with 10-10-10 and well watered and for the most

part
the lawn is absolutely beautiful. BUT, there are some spots that are

thin
and the grass is not lush like the rest of the lawn. I'm not sure what

do here. Some suggestions please, this is in SE PA.

Chas Hurst

Are they large areas? If not you could top-dress and re-seed.

Areas are not large. Can you suggest what to use as a top dressing?

Old 19-05-2005, 03:15 AM
Steveo

"Chas Hurst" wrote:
"Steveo" wrote in message
"Chas Hurst" wrote:
Last fall I murdered my lawn with roundup, roto-tilled it and had it
smoothed out by a rock hound. I planted a mix of blue grass, fesque,
and perenial rye that is the house blend from a local lawn and
garden

store.
It's been fertilized with 10-10-10 and well watered and for the most

part
the lawn is absolutely beautiful. BUT, there are some spots that are

thin
and the grass is not lush like the rest of the lawn. I'm not sure
what

do here. Some suggestions please, this is in SE PA.

Chas Hurst

Are they large areas? If not you could top-dress and re-seed.

Areas are not large. Can you suggest what to use as a top dressing?

Shredded topsoil works great, if you can find real topsoil and not some
fill dirt that was pulverized yesterday. You can't put much more than a
half inch over the top of existing grass without almost killing it.

That gives the seed some nice fresh medium to germinate and start some
roots. It doesn't take much depth for repair work.
Old 19-05-2005, 03:58 AM
Chas Hurst

"Steveo" wrote in message
"Chas Hurst" wrote:
[...]