Old 26-05-2005, 03:51 AM
Himanshu

Paul Gerst wrote:
I have a question regarding dethatching....
There are 3 options...

1) Using a thatch rake

You should have a lot of time and energy to do it using only a rake (or
a very small area to dethatch)

2) Using a lawnmower attachment

Lawnmower attachment? I haven't looked for or seen those, but I have
one for a lawn tractor. First time I used one, worked well enough, but
I think dedicated equipment would have worked better. It would be
easier to get it into places that the tractor couldn't go.

3) Renting a vertical mower

Could be the best option, especially if you don't already have a tractor.

Does anyone have any other advice on dethatching?

Mow short before dethatching and bag the clippings. If you're going to
overseed after, I've read that a second mowing would be useful after
dethatching (according to the Ortho Lawn book) but I skipped the second
mowing due to time constraints. However, after the rain and the growth
spurt in the rest of the lawn has grown quite a bit in the last 10 days.
I'm not supposed to mow that because of the overseeding so I'll just
have to wait till the new seed grows atleat 1.5" (once again, according
to the Ortho Lawn book). These are notes from my first and only
experience dethatching, so take it with a grain of salt.

--
Himanshu
Old 26-05-2005, 11:41 AM
Steveo

"Dan" wrote:
Steveo wrote:
Paul Gerst wrote:
I have a question regarding dethatching....

There are 3 options...

1) Using a thatch rake
2) Using a lawnmower attachment
3) Renting a vertical mower

4) Core aeration regularly. (best choice)

What do you consider regularly?
It's been six years since the last time I core aerated.

Dan

Every year. The soil microbes that are brought to the surface in the plugs
accelerate the rotting of the thatch layer. If you stay on a regular
schedule with it, you won't need de-thatching.
Old 26-05-2005, 11:43 AM
Steveo

"Noozer" wrote:
"Dan" wrote in message
Steveo wrote:
Paul Gerst wrote:
I have a question regarding dethatching....

There are 3 options...

1) Using a thatch rake
2) Using a lawnmower attachment
3) Renting a vertical mower

4) Core aeration regularly. (best choice)

What do you consider regularly?
It's been six years since the last time I core aerated.

And how much should one expect to pay for getting the yard done?

That depends on lawn size.

How
about renting equipment?

Works fine, under $100/day.
Old 26-05-2005, 05:56 PM
Dan

Steveo wrote:
"Dan" wrote:

What do you consider regularly?
It's been six years since the last time I core aerated.

Dan

Every year. The soil microbes that are brought to the surface in the
plugs accelerate the rotting of the thatch layer. If you stay on a
regular schedule with it, you won't need de-thatching.

Thanks for the info, Steveo.
I take it spring or fall is the best time to aerate?

Dan

Old 26-05-2005, 06:39 PM
Steveo

"Dan" wrote:
Steveo wrote:
"Dan" wrote:

What do you consider regularly?
It's been six years since the last time I core aerated.

Dan

Every year. The soil microbes that are brought to the surface in the
plugs accelerate the rotting of the thatch layer. If you stay on a
regular schedule with it, you won't need de-thatching.

Thanks for the info, Steveo.
I take it spring or fall is the best time to aerate?

Dan

Those are the only times to do it.

Dethatching blade Bob Lawns 3 13-03-2006 03:10 AM
Dethatching Solution redclay Gardening 3 11-07-2004 12:03 AM
HELP HELP HELP Lynne Orchids 6 07-05-2004 01:03 AM
Timing of dethatching and aerating Ken Shelton Lawns 1 05-05-2003 10:57 PM
help! Please help find out what kind of plants I have :) Dave M. Picklyk Freshwater Aquaria Plants 0 18-02-2003 05:09 AM