Old 22-05-2005, 09:46 PM
Paul Gerst

Default Dethatching Help

I have a question regarding dethatching....

There are 3 options...

1) Using a thatch rake
2) Using a lawnmower attachment
3) Renting a vertical mower

Which is the best, assuming money is no object. Which is the best for
the lawn?
Does anyone have any other advice on dethatching?

Thanks.

Old 23-05-2005, 12:55 AM
Peter H

"Paul Gerst" wrote in message
I have a question regarding dethatching....

There are 3 options...

1) Using a thatch rake
2) Using a lawnmower attachment
3) Renting a vertical mower

Which is the best, assuming money is no object. Which is the best for
the lawn?
Does anyone have any other advice on dethatching?

Thanks.

Are you sure that you have a thatch problem? Many people rip out the dead
grass from the previous growing season for no particular reason. It will
decompose and help to fertilize the new lawn growing in.

A thatch problem will force the crown of the grass plant to move up higher
than it was meant to. This is damaging to the plants and creates an
unhealthy environment.

If you do have a thatch problem I would recommend the vertical mower to
remove it. Be prepared for a lot of waste product.

Peter H

Old 23-05-2005, 01:11 AM
Paul Gerst

Thanks. I had neglected the lawn last year so there is a lot of unwanted
matter on the ground. I am also planning on overseeding so I wanted the
highest soil contact possible.

How well do the vertical mowers work?

Old 23-05-2005, 12:48 PM

Don't know where you are, but for most areas of the US with cool season
grasses, it's way past optimal time for seeding. The best time is
early Sept, second best early spring. Now you have hot weather on the
way, which makes it much harder.

Also, I agree with Peter, that unless you really have a thatch problem,
de-thatching is necessary. You can overseed by cutting it short and
using a slice seeder, which is a lot less work.

Old 24-05-2005, 11:46 AM
Paul Gerst

If I wanted an impersonal response I would have done so. You obviously
do not understand the utility of a newsgroup and the commercial aspect
of the web. Please do not waste your time by posting such ignorant
time, then go google a hobby.

- Tom - wrote:
Do you have a friend named Google?

Here, let me introduce you two. http://www.google.com/webhp?hl=en Now,
paste or type "slice seeder" into the blank space and press the keyboard's
Enter key. Voila!
And for dessert, http://www.google.com/imghp?hl=en&tab=wi&q= . Same
drill. This time you get images.

--
Tom

"Paul Gerst" wrote in message

What is a slice seeder?

Old 24-05-2005, 01:45 PM

A slice seeder is a piece of gas powered, walk behind, lawn eqpt. It
has discs that cut grooves in soil a couple inchs apart and then drop
seed in as it goes along. Very effective way to seed for either
establishing a new lawn or overseeding an existing one. They can be
rented for about $50 for a half day here in the US and transported by
two people in an SUV. At least the small ones.

Old 24-05-2005, 01:53 PM
- Tom -

I'm sorry you got that impression, Paul. Not my intention, actually, but
that's one of the limitations of an impersonal medium like Usenet. I suppose
I could've added a smiley for flavor.
I've used google plenty and learned more accurate information than from
"friendly" replies on Usenet. NG replies are great for filling in the blanks
when basic subject searches are complete and some reading has been done. I
didn't get any indication from your short question that you knew anything
about slice seeders so I directed you to a utility that should be the first
source for answering most questions about technology. Perhaps you'd be
better served by being more specific with requests for information.

--
Tom

"Paul Gerst" wrote in message
If I wanted an impersonal response I would have done so. You obviously do
not understand the utility of a newsgroup and the commercial aspect of the
web. Please do not waste your time by posting such ignorant responses to
the group. If you can't find a more benficial use of your time, then go
google a hobby.

- Tom - wrote:
Do you have a friend named Google?

Here, let me introduce you two. http://www.google.com/webhp?hl=en
Now, paste or type "slice seeder" into the blank space and press the
keyboard's Enter key. Voila!
And for dessert, http://www.google.com/imghp?hl=en&tab=wi&q= . Same
drill. This time you get images.

--
Tom

"Paul Gerst" wrote in message

What is a slice seeder?

Old 25-05-2005, 02:41 PM
Rolling Thunder

On Sun, 22 May 2005 16:46:30 -0400, Paul Gerst
wrote:

I have a question regarding dethatching....

There are 3 options...

1) Using a thatch rake
2) Using a lawnmower attachment
3) Renting a vertical mower

Which is the best, assuming money is no object. Which is the best for
the lawn?
Does anyone have any other advice on dethatching?

Thanks.

Actually, you could try a tonic to breakdown the thatch. If the
thatch is more than 1", then a mechanical means may be
necessary but try using the famous tonic to breakdown the
thatch:

1 can beer (not light, you want the yeast)
1 can cola (not diet, you want the sugar content)
1 cup liquid soap (lemon scented dishwashing type)
1 cup ammonia

Put in a 20 gal sprayer over 2500 sq ft. of grass.

There are commercial thatch breakdown liquids you can buy as well.

Thunder
Old 25-05-2005, 10:08 PM
Steveo

Paul Gerst wrote:
I have a question regarding dethatching....

There are 3 options...

1) Using a thatch rake
2) Using a lawnmower attachment
3) Renting a vertical mower

4) Core aeration regularly. (best choice)
Old 25-05-2005, 10:35 PM
G Henslee

- Tom - wrote:

Do you have a friend named Google?

Here, let me introduce you two. http://www.google.com/webhp?hl=en
Now, paste or type "slice seeder" into the blank space and press the
keyboard's Enter key. Voila!
And for dessert, http://www.google.com/imghp?hl=en&tab=wi&q= .
Same drill. This time you get images.

--
Tom

Ah c'mon ya big cry-baby. He could have sent you he
http://tinyurl.com/22c6t

Musn't forget this )
Old 26-05-2005, 12:31 AM
Dan

Steveo wrote:
Paul Gerst wrote:
I have a question regarding dethatching....

There are 3 options...

1) Using a thatch rake
2) Using a lawnmower attachment
3) Renting a vertical mower

4) Core aeration regularly. (best choice)

What do you consider regularly?
It's been six years since the last time I core aerated.

Dan

Old 26-05-2005, 02:31 AM
Noozer

"Dan" wrote in message
Steveo wrote:
Paul Gerst wrote:
I have a question regarding dethatching....

There are 3 options...

1) Using a thatch rake
2) Using a lawnmower attachment
3) Renting a vertical mower

4) Core aeration regularly. (best choice)

What do you consider regularly?
It's been six years since the last time I core aerated.

And how much should one expect to pay for getting the yard done? How about
renting equipment?

Dethatching blade Bob Lawns 3 13-03-2006 03:10 AM
Dethatching Solution redclay Gardening 3 11-07-2004 12:03 AM
HELP HELP HELP Lynne Orchids 6 07-05-2004 01:03 AM
Timing of dethatching and aerating Ken Shelton Lawns 1 05-05-2003 10:57 PM
help! Please help find out what kind of plants I have :) Dave M. Picklyk Freshwater Aquaria Plants 0 18-02-2003 05:09 AM