Old 08-06-2005, 02:58 AM
gardin

Default help: dry spot on lawn

I am in Ottawa (Ontario).
There is a spot on my front lawn where the soil is dried out fairly
quickly and the grass there looks brown and sparse. That spot looked
nice in early Spring, but lately it has been hot and that area is
worsening noticeably. The area is not large, just about 2mx2m (~6'x6'),
is about 2-3m !6-7') westward from a tree.
Last Fall I put more top soil/peat moss/seeds (red creeping fescue+
Kentucky blue grass) there. I water it regularly this Spring too, but
now it looks brown. Grass nearby this spot looks fine though.
What could I do? Plant different kind of grass?

Thanks -
Old 08-06-2005, 03:29 AM
Steveo

gardin wrote:
I am in Ottawa (Ontario).
There is a spot on my front lawn where the soil is dried out fairly
quickly and the grass there looks brown and sparse. That spot looked
nice in early Spring, but lately it has been hot and that area is
worsening noticeably. The area is not large, just about 2mx2m (~6'x6'),
is about 2-3m !6-7') westward from a tree.
Last Fall I put more top soil/peat moss/seeds (red creeping fescue+
Kentucky blue grass) there. I water it regularly this Spring too, but
now it looks brown. Grass nearby this spot looks fine though.
What could I do? Plant different kind of grass?

Thanks -

Is there any chance there is someting in the sub-soil directly under that
spot?
Old 08-06-2005, 11:15 AM
gardin

Steveo wrote:
gardin wrote:

I am in Ottawa (Ontario).
There is a spot on my front lawn where the soil is dried out fairly
quickly and the grass there looks brown and sparse. That spot looked
nice in early Spring, but lately it has been hot and that area is
worsening noticeably. The area is not large, just about 2mx2m (~6'x6'),
is about 2-3m !6-7') westward from a tree.
Last Fall I put more top soil/peat moss/seeds (red creeping fescue+
Kentucky blue grass) there. I water it regularly this Spring too, but
now it looks brown. Grass nearby this spot looks fine though.
What could I do? Plant different kind of grass?

Thanks -

Is there any chance there is someting in the sub-soil directly under that
spot?

I am not sure if there is something under that spot.
There could be some water pipe or underground power cable (if that
is what you are asking).
Old 08-06-2005, 07:47 PM
Steveo

gardin wrote:
Steveo wrote:
gardin wrote:

[...]

I've found all kinds of stuff buried by the builders under lawns, sometimes
it will cause an area to be blighted.
Old 11-06-2005, 04:39 PM

Is it really dried out? Or is this a disease/fungus issue? Since you
can apparently water it, you should be able to give it sufficient
water. Even areas that dry quickly can get enough water if you water
every third day or so in hot weather. I'd lay off fertilizer and give
it sufficient water. If it doesn't respond, it's not a water issue.

dry dry dry Rosie United Kingdom 0 02-04-2004 04:21 AM
help me choose some plants for a tricky garden spot chris United Kingdom 0 18-09-2003 11:48 PM
help me choose some plants for a tricky garden spot chris United Kingdom 0 18-09-2003 11:41 PM
help me choose some plants for a tricky garden spot chris United Kingdom 0 18-09-2003 11:20 PM
Feeding up a lawn during a dry spell David W.E. Roberts United Kingdom 1 18-04-2003 08:32 PM