Old 27-06-2005, 01:24 PM
geezer

Default More on a 'Battery Tender'

I bought a battery tender so as to maintain full charge on my
problematic rider battery. It bothers me that the male plug for the
ting is only 2-prong. Seems to me that I connect it to AC source
backwards, that it could cause charging problems. Can it?

Or am I just paranoid?

TX
Old 27-06-2005, 01:53 PM
Stubby

geezer wrote:
I bought a battery tender so as to maintain full charge on my
problematic rider battery. It bothers me that the male plug for the
ting is only 2-prong. Seems to me that I connect it to AC source
backwards, that it could cause charging problems. Can it?

Or am I just paranoid?

Yup, paranoid. The charger is built around a transformer that isolates
the 120 VAC power input from the DC output. Reversing the plug does not
affect the DC output in anyway.

Having a third prong would permit the (metal?) case of the charger to be
grounded. This means that an internal short in the charger would not
give you a shock. But it is just as safe to make the case out of an
insulator such as plastic and physically arrange the wiring so it cannot
chafe or break.
Old 27-06-2005, 03:11 PM
geezer

On Mon, 27 Jun 2005 08:53:49 -0400, Stubby
wrote:

Yup, paranoid. The charger is built around a transformer that isolates
the 120 VAC power input from the DC output. Reversing the plug does not
affect the DC output in anyway.

Having a third prong would permit the (metal?) case of the charger to be
grounded. This means that an internal short in the charger would not
give you a shock. But it is just as safe to make the case out of an
insulator such as plastic and physically arrange the wiring so it cannot
chafe or break.

Just now I connected the tender up and get proper indicator lights and
voltage polarities no matter which way I connect the plug.

So I would think that you are indeed very right.

Thanks for reply

One day I will find my short though. Now up to 7V! Must be the
starter itself.

Cya

Old 27-06-2005, 06:28 PM

If the battery is good, it should be unnecessary to use a battery
tender during the mowing season. If you use the mower once a week for
a half hour or so, that should keep it charged. The tender is needed
in the winter, when the battery isn't being charged by the mower. And
I sure wouldn't use it to allow leaving the battery connected. Until
you find the short, the battery should be disconnected after each use.

Old 27-06-2005, 11:37 PM
Ralph Mowery

"geezer" wrote in message
I bought a battery tender so as to maintain full charge on my
problematic rider battery. It bothers me that the male plug for the
ting is only 2-prong. Seems to me that I connect it to AC source
backwards, that it could cause charging problems. Can it?

Or am I just paranoid?

Hope this is not a joke. The AC reverses 60 times every second so it will
not mater which way you plug it in as far as the output to the battery.

Old 28-06-2005, 10:20 AM
geezer

On Mon, 27 Jun 2005 22:37:50 GMT, "Ralph Mowery"
wrote:

Hope this is not a joke. The AC reverses 60 times every second so it will
not mater which way you plug it in as far as the output to the battery.

Nope - not a joke. Just a question out of ignorance.

Thanks for reply.

do pomacea bridgsii apple snails eat tender plants? Dave M. Picklyk Freshwater Aquaria Plants 5 18-07-2004 07:28 PM
do pomacea bridgsii apple snails eat tender plants? Dave M. Picklyk Freshwater Aquaria Plants 4 06-04-2004 09:35 PM
do pomacea bridgsii apple snails eat tender plants? Dave M. Picklyk Freshwater Aquaria Plants 0 06-04-2004 09:35 PM
Tender dwarf bamboo Jim McLaren Bamboo 3 08-01-2004 09:44 PM
What Variety Pea for Tender Greens? Phaedrine Stonebridge Edible Gardening 12 13-07-2003 03:56 AM