Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 14-07-2005, 10:38 PM
The Other Mike

Default Lawn newbie needs advice on fertilizer

2 years ago we moved into a new construction house which used to be
all woods (lots of dead roots under the ground) in South Jersey. I
don't know what kind of grass was put down for the lawn (front was
sod, back was seeded). It's my first lawn and I haven't been having
much luck with it (just not very green...some browning) and could use
some advice. Here are my questions:

1. What's better for the lawn...the Scott's treatments they sell at
Lowes or should I be using some other type of fertilizer?
2. If a different fertilizer is better...liquid or granules? And how
often do I apply it?
3. My neighbor had his lawn tested and said his PH was low. My
understanding is that lime helps this. Should I also be applying lime
to my lawn and how often? Again...liquid or granules?
4. A friend told me to reseed every fall...is this a good thing to
do? Or is too much seed a bad thing?

Sorry for all the questions...any help would be appreciated.