Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 19-07-2005, 03:52 AM
The Data Rat

Default Smelly dirt

Hi all,

LONG time since I have been here. I decked in most of my back yard after
amending, tilling, replacing and spending a fortune on the lawn. No matter
what I put down or replaced it with, it turns to clay. It is heavy clay
soil that will not support grass. I left about a 10' area for the doggies
and have 5' flower beds around the perimeter of the house and deck. Not
much going on in the flower beds either.

The problem is the smell. We have had these torrential downpours every
afternoon for the past week and the soil smells so bad I go out back just to
pick up after the dogs and that's it. What can I put on it to keep the
smell down? My yard borders a drainage canal and and it has that stinky
swampy smell. I even bought an outdoor fan. I was thinking baking soda. I
don't care if it kills the few weeds that grow. There is actually a bluish
green algae growing on it. Would watering it with city water (contains
chorine) help? I am in Eastern Virginia.

Thanks!

Suzi

Yuck - smelly plants TomNavyRet Ponds 5 07-07-2003 02:46 AM
Small, shade-loving & smelly? Quaggy United Kingdom 7 01-07-2003 06:08 PM
Smelly compost need high carbon material!! dommy United Kingdom 5 16-06-2003 07:21 PM
smelly plants Stephanie Franklin Australia 12 21-05-2003 09:08 AM
I've got the most smelly... H United Kingdom 19 11-05-2003 01:32 PM