Old 17-03-2003, 04:32 PM
R B

Default dogs and shade plants

Anyone have suggestions for shade plants that would taste bad or
otherwise be undesirable to dogs? Suggestions of any size welcome.

Thanks!

RB
Old 21-03-2003, 01:08 AM
Kevin Gamble

Anne Lurie wrote:

My suggestion so far: Hosta! As far as I know, dogs don't eat it, and it
seems fairly hardy -- although I might have a better idea after it comes
up again.

My dog eats the young hostas when they're first emerging. She bites at
them until they are all the way down to the ground. If I can get them up
a ways then she'll leave them alone. Even the ones that get ripped to
shreds eventually will make it. She's a retriever as well.

Old 29-03-2003, 02:08 AM
R B

Thanks for suggesting hostas - I'll have to see what they make of
those. The main issues are chewing, eating, and digging. I've lost
impatiens and pansies to my retriever in the past, although the other
dog leaves them alone. I'll give the hostas a whirl and see if they
taste good to my "good dog."