Old 11-07-2007, 12:41 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Plants and dogs

Hi

I am after a bit of advice if I may...

I am very new to this gardening business - my previous limit has been
a few patio pots!!

Now I am looking to put a few small trees/plants in the garden (I like
the look of black bamboo) in a minimalist garden with no grass
(decking and slabs) as I have two large dogs.

I am after some suggestions for some good landscaping plants/tress
that are low maintenence and would be ok with animals.

Any help greatly appreciated.

Cheers

Nicola

Old 11-07-2007, 01:00 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

wrote in message
ups.com...
Hi

I am after a bit of advice if I may...

I am very new to this gardening business - my previous limit has been
a few patio pots!!

Now I am looking to put a few small trees/plants in the garden (I like
the look of black bamboo) in a minimalist garden with no grass
(decking and slabs) as I have two large dogs.

I am after some suggestions for some good landscaping plants/tress
that are low maintenence and would be ok with animals.

Any help greatly appreciated.
Cheers
Nicola

I'm a cat lover myself...........but found this book for you:
http://dogwise.com/ItemDetails.cfm?ID=DEG725

and some more
info:http://www.flower-gardening-made-eas...d-gardens.html

plants to beware of; http://www.dogpack.com/health/poisonplants.htm

I saw a dog friendly garden on TV once. They'd sectioned a piece of with a
fence specially for the dog.

Jenny

Old 11-07-2007, 03:55 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 11 Jul, 13:00, "JennyC" wrote:
I saw a dog friendly garden on TV once. They'd sectioned a piece of with a
fence specially for the dog.

That's what I had to do in my garden - a little picket fence with
double wires to protect all my tender plants. There's lots of plants
that 'bounce' back after the visit of a dog; ajuga, ground ivy,
geraniums, heucheras ... with taller plants the dogs go around them,
like crocosmia, japenese anemones, lavenders, rosemaries,
hydrangeas ... I've found my youngest dog found of the hawthorns would
you beleive and the roses! She scratches her back on them occasionally
and it now looks as if I've got a sheep in the garden for all the hair
dangling from the plants. Also she's eaten the zebrinus entirely now.
So that's the plant to not have obviously. Cats are found of it too!
Basically all wooded stems are prone to breaking - that's the one the
dogs will damage. Soft stems plants usually survive, unless your mutt
decide to have its afternoon nap on it!

Old 16-07-2007, 10:03 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 11 Jul, 13:00, "JennyC" wrote:
wrote in message

[...]

Jenny- Hide quoted text -

Thanks Jenny - this is great :-)

Old 16-07-2007, 10:05 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 11 Jul, 15:55, La Puce wrote:
On 11 Jul, 13:00, "JennyC" wrote:

[...]

HMMM - I have two rottweilers so I think taller plants are the way
forward :-) thank you