Old 05-10-2005, 08:48 PM
D C Antonelli

Default plants for sodden areas

My A/C drip water outlet comes out into a small garden area between my
house and a sidewalk. During the summer this area is sodden. I'm looking
for suggestions for plants that like this kind of environment as I am
redoing the area (formerly ivy covered). I will do hosta in the areas
away from the wetness but would like something green and short that will
grow in mud.

Old 06-10-2005, 12:10 PM
Baine Carruthers

What about the winter and spring months when the unit isn't running and the
area isn't mud? It seems like a better idea would be to deal with the
condensation by piping off.

Baine

k.net...

Old 03-11-2005, 06:30 PM

I am also interested in the answer to this question. We have an
undercounter ice maker that wastes about 4 gallons of water per day. I
have routed the water outside so that I can put it to some good use. I
guess one such use might be a bog garden of sorts.

gb

Old 08-11-2005, 09:31 AM
Registered User

Location: North Carolina

Quote:
Originally Posted by
I am also interested in the answer to this question. We have an
undercounter ice maker that wastes about 4 gallons of water per day. I
have routed the water outside so that I can put it to some good use. I
guess one such use might be a bog garden of sorts.

gb
You could try googling 'hardy bog plants'. Whatever you plant has to cope with quite severe freezing Winters and if the area really dries out through the heat of Summer, that will limit what could grow their

Some bog plants are big growers which you might not want too close to a house, possibly encouraging damp to affect the build, or even damage the structure. Bamboo and Yellow flag iris is quite capable of doing structural damage

If the water could be channeled a few feet away to a pond, with an overflow further going a safe distance, that might make for an attractive feature...

Regards, andy
Old 08-11-2005, 05:59 PM
Dot Proulx

We've grown yellow flag irises in our often soggy low spot in the yard.
We now how a row of them about 25 feet long.

oups.com...