Old 26-05-2007, 02:20 PM posted to triangle.gardens

Default Wet area plantings

Hi all

I have a low area on my property that does not really drain anywhere. Right
now it is lawn and from November to say mid april it was "soupy" or if it
was raining it was under an inch or two of water.

Now that we are in a dry spell I would like to tear it up and plant some
water loving plants that will make it look better and hopefully transpire
enough water to keep it more dry back there.

Any suggestions? There are mature pine trees around it so it only gets about
50% sun.

Thanks in advance

Old 29-05-2007, 05:12 PM posted to triangle.gardens

On 2007-05-26, James wrote:
Hi all

I have a low area on my property that does not really drain anywhere. Right
now it is lawn and from November to say mid april it was "soupy" or if it
was raining it was under an inch or two of water.

Now that we are in a dry spell I would like to tear it up and plant some
water loving plants that will make it look better and hopefully transpire
enough water to keep it more dry back there.

Any suggestions? There are mature pine trees around it so it only gets about
50% sun.

Thanks in advance

I have never tried this, but if I was I would google "bog gardens" to
get some info.

Some places are developing large scale bog gardens as a way to purify
water in a natural way. Natures filtering process, of removing
nutrients before it gets in the runoff.

is a garbage address.
Old 29-05-2007, 05:34 PM posted to triangle.gardens
dot dot is offline

We planted "yellow flag" irises planted in our wettest area several years
ago. They have multiplied and are doing quite well.

http://www.nhbirdsnest.com/watergard...ellow_flag.htm

Old 29-05-2007, 08:26 PM posted to triangle.gardens

On May 29, 11:34 am, "dot" wrote:
We planted "yellow flag" irisesplanted in our wettest area several years
ago. They have multiplied and are doing quite well.

http://www.nhbirdsnest.com/watergard...ellow_flag.htm

If you are considering planting yellow flag (Iris pseudacorus) on your
property, make sure to check with your state ag. dept. first. Many
states have banned pseudacorus because of the devastating effects it
has had on natural waterways and native flora.

Laurie
---------------

Shadowood -
http://lfrazer.com
The Irises of Shadowood - http://lfrazer.com/iris/
Wallplates With Panache - http://lfrazer.com/wallplates/

Old 31-05-2007, 09:43 PM posted to triangle.gardens

I have always liked trilliums, and they come in many varieties. I think
they might do well there since I have seen them growing naturally in
places just as you describe.

Old 18-06-2007, 12:11 AM posted to triangle.gardens

James wrote:
Hi all

I have a low area on my property that does not really drain anywhere.
Right now it is lawn and from November to say mid april it was "soupy"
or if it was raining it was under an inch or two of water.

Now that we are in a dry spell I would like to tear it up and plant
some water loving plants that will make it look better and hopefully
transpire enough water to keep it more dry back there.

Any suggestions? There are mature pine trees around it so it only gets
about 50% sun.

Thanks in advance

Annual impatiens do well even directly in water an not much sun- in fact
in water they are more sun tolerant.
Old 18-06-2007, 04:16 AM posted to triangle.gardens
MAC MAC is offline

I know that canna lilies love moist soil - the more I water mine, the
faster they grow. Here are a few more ideas:

http://landscaping.about.com/cs/lazy...rea_plants.htm

MAC

Wet, wet, wet David Hill United Kingdom 54 22-12-2012 03:28 PM
Wet, Wet, Wet Dave Hill United Kingdom 3 21-11-2011 11:14 PM
Evergreen recommendation for Portland, OR (wet, wet, wet) Jadene Mayla Lawns 0 27-06-2011 08:27 PM
Evergreen recommendation for Portland, OR (wet, wet, wet) Jess Lawns 0 24-04-2011 04:08 PM
Wet, Wet, Wet David Hill United Kingdom 16 06-02-2004 03:49 PM