Old 27-04-2003, 07:44 AM
laurie \(Mother Mastiff\)

Default Mini roses from NC nursery

I finally found a nursery in NC that carried the Sweet Chariot mini that I
wanted for my front porch hanging baskets.

Spring Hill which sells a Purple Chariot (in 3" pots) (and a web search
indicated that was simply another name that the 1984 cultivar Sweet
Chariot is sold under), Bridges Roses in Lawndale NC (has a 704 area
code) had 3" pots of Sweet Chariot for $6.50 which arrived in about
36 hours from when I called, healthy and COVERED in buds. They are
kind of a yummy bold purple-y fuschia in color.

http://www.bridgesroses.com/cat8mv.htm

Now I need to find something with tiny white blooms to fill in around
them. White Alyssum? Anyone seen any nice ones in 6-packs?
Other suggestions?

Thanks to everyone who offered help and temptations. g

Email me in early July if interested in picking organic blueberries. Looks
like there should be plenty this year! I re-discovered that ancient organic
fertilizer Plant-Tone (my mother used to use it) and can't wait to see if it
improves the flavor of the berries from the big old bushes (hard to do, but
I am eager to find out!)

-- laurie brooke adams (Mother Mastiff) mastiffs at mindspring dot-com
***If a DOG could choose whether to just be beautiful, or to be sound
and healthy TOO, what do YOU think the dog would choose?***
(C) 2003 My words are my own. If you want to use them, ASK ME FIRST.

Welsummers, several lines of Marans, Blue Cochins
Chicks only, accepting reservations now for 2003
Outgoing Mail Certified Virus Free by Norton Antivirus

Old 30-04-2003, 04:32 PM
Susan H. Simko

laurie (Mother Mastiff) wrote:

Now I need to find something with tiny white blooms to fill in around
them. White Alyssum? Anyone seen any nice ones in 6-packs?
Other suggestions?

White alyssum - definitely. No bias here aside for that's what I have
in the bed with my mauve Blue Girl roses. *grin* It's so delicatae
next to the roses. (I also have it in the beds with the miniatures.)
The only thing else that would give that nice offset is Baby's Breath
but the plants are too large for miniatures. (I also have Baby's Breath
in my lily bed which is why I say that.) The alyssum is nice in that
it reseeds itself.

To be honest, I've never bought alyssum, always started it from seed. I
do recall seeing some flats at Lowes in north Durham not long ago.

Email me in early July if interested in picking organic blueberries. Looks
like there should be plenty this year! I re-discovered that ancient organic
fertilizer Plant-Tone (my mother used to use it) and can't wait to see if it
improves the flavor of the berries from the big old bushes (hard to do, but
I am eager to find out!)

It does look like a great year for blueberries and for strawberries! My
plants are loaded! The tomato plants are also looking good though
they're just starting to blossom.

Susan
s h simko at duke dot edu

Old 30-04-2003, 09:08 PM
Arwen Long

btw, laurie, i am pretty sure i have some white alyssum seeds if you want
to keep the trading thread going. lmk if you're interested & i'll do some
digging in my seed packets.

susan, do you start the seeds outside or in?

arwen

Old 01-05-2003, 06:20 PM
MAC

The only thing else that would give that nice offset is Baby's Breath but the plants are too large for miniatures.

I have some of the "Bristol Fairy" variety in my rosebed, which I got
from Jackson & Perkins. It's a miniature baby's breath that works well
where I have it, and comes in both pink and white.

MAC

In praise of supermarket mini roses. Karen Roses 11 27-07-2004 04:05 PM
In praise of supermarket mini roses. Karen Gardening 9 27-07-2004 04:05 PM
Sad Mini Roses FireDragon Gardening 9 01-08-2003 03:49 AM
Cheapie mini roses Jane Roses 5 19-05-2003 03:20 PM
Alyssum was Mini roses from NC nursery Susan H. Simko North Carolina 2 01-05-2003 06:08 PM