Old 01-05-2003, 05:33 PM
Gena

Default new tree

"Lance" wrote in message ...
I want to put a new tree in the yard...(first timer)

I was going to buy one from Home Depot. I should be planting it in the

fall
right? Is now a good time for this? Any tips besides just sticking it

in
the ground and watering?

Lance

www.backyardgardener.com/tree/

scroll about halfway down the page and you'll find links on every aspect of
planting any sort of tree anywhere, and lots more.

gena

Old 01-05-2003, 05:33 PM
Mark C.

Hi Lance,

Fall is indeed the best time to plant trees in North Carolina. Although
they'll soon be losing their leaves, their root systems continue to grow
and strengthen throughout the fall and winter, giving them a good head
start for spring and the heat of summer. Remember that newly-planted
trees need lots of water, even during the winter when they're leafless
and dormant, since the roots are still growing out underground. I'd
recommend picking up a copy of Toby Bost's excellent North Carolina
Gardener's Guide - it has a detailed section for just about every plant
that grows in the state, including trees, with specific planting and
fertilizing instructions.

Best,

MAC

--
Mark My Words - http://www.mindspring.com/~afan/

I always wanted to be somebody, but I should have been more specific. - Jane Wagner

Old 01-05-2003, 05:33 PM
Rich Budzinski

If you're digging in clay don't dig a hole as deep as the rootball.
It's best to plant only half the rootball in the hole and then mound the
dirt up and around what's above ground. Our clay soil can act like a
bucket and trap water in your hole. Granted the water will drain away
but very slowly and you run the risk of drowning the tree. If you go to
any new shopping development or office complex you'll notice what I am
talking about.