Old 01-05-2003, 05:44 PM
Patrick Crockett

Default Glue for treatd lumber

Has anyone glued pressure-treated wood? What glue works well?

My plan is to build a bridge over the swampy part of our yard, and I want to
make something with a nice arch -- evocative of bridges in Japanese gardens.
I could use cedar or some such and paint it, but I'd prefer to do this in
pressure treated wood so that (1) there is minimal maintenance and (2) it
will be consistent with decking and pressure treated furniture in the yard.
So -- I want to laminate some arches from strips of treated lumber if that's
possible. Does anyone know if it is?

Patrick

Old 01-05-2003, 05:44 PM
Tom Gauldin

I've glued up CCA treated lumber for indoor use using plain old yellow
carpenter's glue. For outdoor use, consider using the Liquid Nails made for
outdoor treated lumber use. My biggest suggestion would be to let the stuff
dry out inside for several months before attempting anything. The treated
stuff I used to get was so juicy that it'd actually rust the table of my saw
unless I'd wipe it down first. After drying well, it has far better
manners.

--

Tom Gauldin, Las Vegas NV
NEW EMAIL

. com...

Old 01-05-2003, 05:44 PM
Ronald Page

You might also want to try using polyurethane glue, sometimes marketed as
"Gorilla" glue. It's at the local home store and actually cures in the
presence of moisture. A bit pricier than the common yellow stuff, though.
Just don't get it on your fingers! Use it sparingly, as it tends to foam
as it cures.