Old 07-03-2004, 08:44 PM
Heidi

Default The Year of the Onion

We seem to be having an outbreak of wild onions in our yard. I don't
think I am exaggerating when I say that I have pulled up thousands of
wild onions from our yard this weekend. Those darn things sure do grow
down deep in the soil. They don't pull up very easily either, you
really have to dig all the way to the bulb if you want to pull it out.
The snow melted, and suddenly weeds and onions were everywhere. We have
never had wild onions before. I suspect they may have come from some
dirt I bought last year at HD--I think it was Wood Valley Farm Top
Soil. I bought a few new bags this weekend of the same brand, poured
some soil out, and noticed wild onions in the bagged soil. Either they
are an onion farm or everyone is having wild onion problems this year.
Has anyone else noticed them in their garden/yard?

Aside from all the weeds that appeared, I am noticing some daffodils
popping up, and our day lilies starting to emerge. Hooray!

I hope everyone is enjoying this gorgeous weather!

Heidi