Old 09-03-2004, 04:14 AM
Johnny K

Default I read in this group last summer

That someone sells Heirloom tomotoes at the farmers market, I think it may
have been Tomatoe Lord.Was I right and if so when will they start and are
they sold as starter plants or seeds?

Old 09-03-2004, 04:15 AM
Jim Comer

On Mon, 08 Mar 2004 23:02:17 GMT, "Johnny K" wrote:

That someone sells Heirloom tomotoes at the farmers market, I think it may
have been Tomatoe Lord.Was I right and if so when will they start and are
they sold as starter plants or seeds?

You might be thinking of Craig LeHoullier. Here's a link to his list of plants
for this year:

http://nctomatoman.topcities.com/Fro..._Mar_03_04.htm

Old 09-03-2004, 04:15 AM
Johnny K

Jim Comer wrote in message ...
On Mon, 08 Mar 2004 23:02:17 GMT, "Johnny K" wrote:

That someone sells Heirloom tomotoes at the farmers market, I think it may
have been Tomatoe Lord.Was I right and if so when will they start and are
they sold as starter plants or seeds?

You might be thinking of Craig LeHoullier. Here's a link to his list of

plants
for this year:

http://nctomatoman.topcities.com/Fro..._Mar_03_04.htm

Yep yep yep that was it,I think I also read about them last year in the

News And Observer,Never had an Heirloom tomato before and want to find out
if they really do taste better than hybird type,Many thanks Jim

Old 10-03-2004, 05:12 PM
Jim Comer

On Tue, 09 Mar 2004 00:48:27 GMT, "Johnny K" wrote:

Yep yep yep that was it,I think I also read about them last year in the

News And Observer,Never had an Heirloom tomato before and want to find out
if they really do taste better than hybird type,Many thanks Jim

Some do really taste better, others are probably grown more of the novelty
(green & white stripes, etc). Whether you'll end up thinking that they really
do taste better than hybrids depends on which variety you pick.

IMHO, the Pink Brandywine is close to the ultimate tomato for flavor.
Unfortunately, it doesn't produce very well in my garden.
Old 10-03-2004, 05:27 PM
Kelly Garner

In article ,
Jim Comer wrote:
On Tue, 09 Mar 2004 00:48:27 GMT, "Johnny K" wrote:

Yep yep yep that was it,I think I also read about them last year in the

News And Observer,Never had an Heirloom tomato before and want to find out
if they really do taste better than hybird type,Many thanks Jim

Some do really taste better, others are probably grown more of the novelty
(green & white stripes, etc). Whether you'll end up thinking that they really
do taste better than hybrids depends on which variety you pick.

IMHO, the Pink Brandywine is close to the ultimate tomato for flavor.
Unfortunately, it doesn't produce very well in my garden.

The Durham Garden Center on Hillsborough Rd will be selling these this year, and according to my friend
who works there they are going to try to have the Tomatoman in for a talk on heirloom tomatoes (and
maybe a tasting!) later in the summer.

Cheers
KJ
--
---
Stapp's Law: The universal aptitude for ineptitude makes

Old 11-03-2004, 05:21 AM
Johnny K

Jim Comer wrote in message ...
On Tue, 09 Mar 2004 00:48:27 GMT, "Johnny K" wrote:

Yep yep yep that was it,I think I also read about them last year in the

News And Observer,Never had an Heirloom tomato before and want to find out
if they really do taste better than hybird type,Many thanks Jim

Some do really taste better, others are probably grown more of the novelty
(green & white stripes, etc). Whether you'll end up thinking that they

really
do taste better than hybrids depends on which variety you pick.

IMHO, the Pink Brandywine is close to the ultimate tomato for flavor.
Unfortunately, it doesn't produce very well in my garden.

I Read the URL page you posted for their site and Brandywine is on my list
to try.Those two have a nice web page with lots of info.Looks like they
start selling around April 22.Thanks again Jim.

Old 11-03-2004, 05:23 AM
Johnny K

Kelly Garner wrote in message ...
In article ,
Jim Comer wrote:
[...]

Thats certianly a good way to pick a good varity,taste testing of many
types.Thanks for the info Kelly.