Old 27-03-2004, 10:35 PM
miked27606

Default Nursery recommendations

Need local (Raleigh/Apex/Cary/Holly Springs/Garner/Fuquay-Varina) nursery
for a wide variety of trees and shrubs. Has anyone ever been to Penny's
nursery near Fuquay? Already know what type of tree/shrub I need, just
looking for the best quality at the best prices. Thanks.

Old 28-03-2004, 03:35 PM
Heidi

Best prices: Broadwell's--a wholesale nursery that sells to the public.
You need to know what you are looking for if you go. Most plants do not
have any signs, so you will need to identify them on your own. As it
is not a real retail nursery, you don't have staff members walking
around asking if they can help you. If you need help about a plant you
need to drive back to the main entrance, find a staff member, and ask
your question (many staff members do not speak fluent English). I have
never seen price tags, but I always trust its a good price rather than
drive back to ask about each plant. I say drive, b/c the nursery is
huge. There are rocky paths throughout the nursery to drive around,
you'll want to leave your nice car at home and take a truck you don't
mind off roading with to drive around here. They do not take credit
cards.

http://www.findnurseries.com/US/NC/nurseries/Broadwell's_Nursery.shtml

In Raleigh, my favorite local retail nursery is Homewood. They just had
their annual spring 25% off sale--25% off everything! They will have
selected items on sale throughout the summer, and then another big sale
in the fall. Get on their mailing list to find out about the sales. I
subscribe to their email newsletter. They only send one out a month,
and no other spam is associated with it. The staff is friendly and
knowledgeable, and the selection is great. I think the prices are
better than other retail stores in the triangle.
http://homewood.citysearch.com/

happy gardening,
heidi

Old 29-03-2004, 01:08 AM
Anne Lurie

Wow!

Broadwell's sounds like a great place! Good thing I have a pickup truck!
And thanks for the heads-up about no credit cards.

Anne Lurie
NE Raleigh

. com...

Old 29-03-2004, 11:43 PM
Robert

Not really in the area you listed but for people close to Durham, Red Mill
Nursery in Durham is great. You could spend hours in there and still not see
everything. The prices are good and the people are knowledgeable and helpful
(as long as you don't go before work on a weekday when all the professional
landscapers are making their pickups).

http://www.findnurseries.com/US/NC/n..._Nursery.shtml

Also, there is a really cool nursery right next door to me that has some
very interesting plants, shrubs and trees:

http://archtrees.com/

John, the owner is great and its worth the trip just to check out the place.
Red Mill and Architectural Trees are about 10 - 15 minutes from each other
so you can hit both in one trip.

I have to say that everything we bought in the past few years from both of
these nurseries has done well, while everything we purchased at the Farmer's
Market in Raleigh has up and died. I think I've learned my lesson ;-)

Robert

"miked27606" wrote in message
. com...
Need local (Raleigh/Apex/Cary/Holly Springs/Garner/Fuquay-Varina) nursery
for a wide variety of trees and shrubs. Has anyone ever been to Penny's
nursery near Fuquay? Already know what type of tree/shrub I need, just
looking for the best quality at the best prices. Thanks.

Nursery recommendations--Broadwells Heidi North Carolina 5 30-03-2004 12:22 AM
nursery recommendations sahara United Kingdom 4 21-01-2004 04:45 PM
Central Illinois Retail Greenhouse, Garden Center, and Nursery Business - For Sale by Owner Eades Greenhouse and Nursery Gardening 0 03-02-2003 09:15 PM
reliable rose nursery Undine Gardening 0 25-01-2003 05:07 PM
Free Shipping at Greenwood Nursery! (Excluding Alaska & Hawaii) Earl Buchan Gardening 0 24-01-2003 07:13 PM