Old 04-05-2004, 05:11 PM
Lynne in NC

Default Indigo Buntings

We've been seeing quite a number of Indigo Buntings in the garden
lately. Truly stunning birds! (especially so when seen eating thistle
next to a goldfinch)

Anyone else have some interesting bird visitors of late?

Lynne in Orange County
Old 05-05-2004, 03:09 AM
Emily

"Lynne in NC" wrote in message
We've been seeing quite a number of Indigo Buntings in the garden
lately. Truly stunning birds! (especially so when seen eating thistle
next to a goldfinch)

Anyone else have some interesting bird visitors of late?

Lynne in Orange County

Oooh, wish we'd see Indigo Buntings here (also Orange Co.) We did have a
few passing through a couple of years ago, but none this year (yet). We do
have three male Rose-Breasted Grosbeaks, though. They seem to pass through
every year, stay a couple of weeks filling their bellies with our seeds,
then continue their migration. So exotic and lovely to see. We also have a
pair of Summer Tanagers, singing in the trees and looking pretty. :-)

Emily

Old 05-05-2004, 11:10 PM
Kira Dirlik

I have seen 3 Indigo Buntings at the same time around my feeder this
year. And one rose-breasted grosbeak who only stayed for a few days.
I heard the summer tanager for only two days, but they've gone.
The other day on my feeder, at the same time, were a male Indigo
Bunting, a male Goldfinch, a male Cardinal, and hanging on the suet
block (which hangs off the feeder) was a male Hairy Woodpecker. It
was SO impressive to see black/white and the three primary colors.
Kira
Old 06-05-2004, 06:07 PM

Emily wrote:

Oooh, wish we'd see Indigo Buntings here (also Orange Co.) We did have a

I saw 'em all the time when I lived in northern Chatham County,
but now that I've moved into Carrboro, I think I've seen maybe 1. :-(

few passing through a couple of years ago, but none this year (yet). We do
have three male Rose-Breasted Grosbeaks, though. They seem to pass through
every year, stay a couple of weeks filling their bellies with our seeds,
then continue their migration. So exotic and lovely to see. We also have a
pair of Summer Tanagers, singing in the trees and looking pretty. :-)

Gosh, I've only seen 1 summer tanager ever (in Chapel Hill years
ago), and I'm always on the lookout for birds I don't see every day. One
of my old faves is the red headed woodpecker, but their numbers seem to
have diminished dramatically. I haven't seen one of those in years
either. (Last spotted on UNC campus)

cl

Bunch of Buntings jOhN Texas 9 29-04-2009 12:13 PM
Vanda Fuch's Indigo Ray B Orchid Photos 4 04-05-2008 01:59 PM
Ascda. Indigo Diana Kulaga[_5_] Orchid Photos 0 02-05-2008 08:46 PM
Two Acre Wood (Grosbeaks and Indigo Bunting) Patty Peeples Garden Photos 2 03-05-2007 03:27 PM
Lack of invertebrates / house sparrows (was Reed Buntings) Colonel Bloomer United Kingdom 263 26-03-2004 02:53 PM