Old 15-08-2004, 09:52 PM
Kira Dirlik

Default Figs from tall trees

Hello,
Sorry if this shows up twice. Weird message came up while sending
previously.
After reading the post about pruning fig trees, I did want to say
I have cut limbs that hung into my pathway to my house, and to make
mowing under the tree easier. That did no harm, and did seem to spur
more growth within the tree (which has become a tenacled monster)!
I have found a way to easily retrieve even the highest figs. I
have a garden tool with a long handle that looks like a 3 or 4 pronged
curved claw on the end, the size of a hand (for hoeing weeds around
veggie plants). I hook that over the branch, pull it down with one
hand, while retrieving figs with the other. They just drop off with a
gentle pull when ripe, so it is easy to do with one hand. The limbs
are so flexible, that there is no chance of breaking or harming the
limb by pulling it down. It just springs back up when done.
Kira
Old 17-08-2004, 11:14 PM
Anne Lurie

Kira,

Your idea for harvesting figs sounds great! I have just one suggestion:
think about wearing sunglasses (or goggles) if you will be dealing with
branches that "spring back up."

After I got a scratched cornea(?) from a pine branch that smacked me right
in the eye, I try to *always* wear sunglasses whenever I work outside now.

Good luck with the figs,

Anne Lurie
NE Raleigh

Old 18-08-2004, 01:10 PM
Sandie Hudson

"Anne Lurie" wrote in message
r.com...
Kira,

Your idea for harvesting figs sounds great! I have just one suggestion:
think about wearing sunglasses (or goggles) if you will be dealing with
branches that "spring back up."

After I got a scratched cornea(?) from a pine branch that smacked me right
in the eye, I try to *always* wear sunglasses whenever I work outside now.

Good luck with the figs,

For that matter, wear some kind of glasses _whenever_ you are outside. 3+
years ago my daughter had a stick fall out of a tree and stab right into her
eye. (Kinda long story involving 2 kids and a tree with a dead branch.) 4
surgeries saved the eye but not really the sight (20/400).

--
Sandie
- Don't forget to take the cats out.

Old 18-08-2004, 01:38 PM
Marcy Hege

Scratched corneas are no fun...got one myself while cleaning up Fran debris.
Any yard work involving branches now includes safety glasses as standard
attire!

Not only did the scratched cornea hurt but the tetanus shot deemed necessary by
the docs took its own toll.

Marcy