Old 06-04-2005, 02:14 PM

Default Best prices on mulch??

I am need about 10 yards of mulch to surround the playset in my
backyard. I am thinking of getting either cypress or cedar. Any
recommendations on where to get it?

Any thoughts or recommndations are welcome.

Thanks!

Old 07-04-2005, 01:26 AM
Anne Lurie

That's a lot of mulch, assuming you are talking about cubic yards -- I
think the dump truck load I got a few years ago was maybe 6 cubic yards (but
at the rate I can move it around, it is now soil amendment rather than
mulch, per se).

I don't know about "cypress or cedar" mulch, as I think the stuff I got was
double-shredded hardwood bark (but, as I said it was several years ago!),
and I got it at Bradsher's on 401 (with the giant man statue) in North
Raleigh (Wake County, I guess).

Bradsher's, south of Fox Road on Louisburg Road, 872-3149.

Anne Lurie
NE Raleigh

oups.com...

Old 07-04-2005, 04:10 AM
ZeroWing

On 6 Apr 2005 06:14:12 -0700, wrote:

I am need about 10 yards of mulch to surround the playset in my
backyard. I am thinking of getting either cypress or cedar. Any
recommendations on where to get it?

It usually depends on where you live... the place with the cheapest
price per yard may not even deliver to your area (or may charge an arm
& a leg to do so.) I'm in northerm Durham and always get mine from
Cordell Earthworks in Durham --
http://www.cordellearthworks.com/products/ . Triple-shredded is
$18/yd. We got 15 yards this year (should have bought 12 but couldn't
bring myself to pay the delivery charge, so just upped my order
grin).

Any thoughts or recommndations are welcome.

Regarding the amount, a square yard spread three inches deep will
cover 12 sqare yards (an area 12 feet x 9 feet). You sure you need 10
yards?

- John
Old 07-04-2005, 12:52 PM

You might ck with Mulch Masters they have a Giant Yard on Durant Rd.
Don't know the pricing but the mulch looks good. It would be great if
you do call that you pass the Price info bk to the group.
James

Old 07-04-2005, 02:50 PM

Thanks for the input so far.

I live in Fuquay and NOBODY wants to deliver it that far. I did find
Blythe Recycling in south Apex off of 55. They recycle trees into
mulch. Seems like a fairly large operation. They have double shredded
at $10 a cubic yard, and cedar for $25 which I think is a really good
price. Problem is that they charge to delver no matter how much you
order. Its $65 to Fuquay. If I get 20 CY of double shredded, then the
$65 delivery for $100 of mulch seems a little ridiculous to me.

I need 10 CY because my kids play area is 32'x16' at 6" deep. We might
get more to do the planters and such also, so it may be as much as 15
CY. www.AreaMulch.com has a great calculator that figures out how much
you need. It even does circle beds and triangle beds. Their site is
somewhat odd to navigate, but their prices seem really good. Again
though, they don't want to deliver to Fuquay and you can't pick up
there.

I would do Blythe in Apex, but I do not have a truck or trailer to haul
it in. That would be the easy solution. But oh well.

Let me know if anyone has any great ideas.

Old 07-04-2005, 02:54 PM

I called Cordell and the girl actually laughed at me. "We don't deliver
that far." she says through her chuckles.

Thanks though!

Old 07-04-2005, 03:03 PM
Raleighgirl

If you're just covering the children's play area, why not stop a
chipper truck (like Asplundh) and ask them to dump their load in
your yard? No charge for that service. I actually think fresh
chips look better anyway.
Raleighgirl

ups.com...

Old 07-04-2005, 11:39 PM
Dan Becker

In article . com,
wrote:

I need 10 CY because my kids play area is 32'x16' at 6" deep.

I am advised by folks running a private school who were looking for the
best thing to put under the playground equip (the old liability scare
issues) the results of their research:

Smooth, round pea gravel. It acts in a ball-bearing fashion when kids
fall into it, cushioning the blow...they can kind of sink into it. Also
drains well if the play zone is properly designed.

It has to be fairly deep, but I don't remember how deep they said. A
Google search will probably turn up that info. Mulch compacts and turns
out to be about as hard as the ground. Same with ground-up rubber. What
you want is something that will give upon impact.

Of course, you have to contain it because it will scatter under the
little peoples' feet as they race around the area.

Dan