Old 15-09-2007, 10:34 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.orchids

Default Dendrobium kingianum - another

This was a salvage plant in 2004. In one of my favourite areas there's a walk
that ends up on the rocky point of a spur with 270 degree views - with a
scattered kingianum colony on the rocks. Since it's 10 km in from base it's a
good spot for lunch - beautiful at flowering time. If I'm in that area I
usually try to check it out.

But the point is also the start for more intrepid walkers to clamber down the
flank of the spur on more adventurous hikes. I assume someone was careless of
their boots, or didn't even realise what they were climbing over, because there
was this piece - much smaller & looking badly dessicated - lying on the ground
below the rocks, along with sundry small bits.

Brought it home & applied tlc. 2005 - a couple of blooms; 2006 - a few more;
2007 - a lovely display.
Dave Gillingham

Attached Thumbnails
Dendrobium kingianum - another-den-kingnm-w01.jpg
Old 15-09-2007, 04:11 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.orchids

Lovely Dave,
I notice you grow these little guys in claypot saucers? What mix do you use
& do you
drill holes?
Cheers Wendy

Old 16-09-2007, 12:17 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.orchids

Glad you liked them, Wendy. Yes, I drill several holes across the saucer in
case water pools in one spot. Though I think capillary action up through the
media would clear a small residue.

People over here use a range of media - Kye mentioned some a while back if I
remember correctly. My preference is straight bark, size chosen to suit plant &
pot. With our drought & water restrictions I'm thinking of changing to the
coconut fibre pieces sold by Easy Orchids among others. Have to reduce watering
then, & hope I get it right or lots of roots rotted off!

On Sat, 15 Sep 2007 08:11:50 -0700, "Wendy7" wrote:

Lovely Dave,
I notice you grow these little guys in claypot saucers? What mix do you use
& do you
drill holes?
Cheers Wendy
.. .

Old 16-09-2007, 12:42 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.orchids

Thanks Dave, I am going to try some. Cheers Wendy
[...]

. ..
[...]

Rate This Thread: