Old 30-12-2007, 05:09 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.orchids
SuE SuE is offline

Default Inexpensive cameras

On Sun, 30 Dec 2007 13:54:36 GMT, "Ray B"
wrote:

What did I do there????

That fist paragraph was supposed to end with:

Go to a camera shop and handle a few, considering sturdiness/stability,
weight, and simplicity of operation. If you're going to use it with a
point-and-shoot camera, you need not get the weight-holding capacity
necessary for an SLR with big lens and flash.

Another consideration on the tripod is weight. Are you going to LUG
it around all day at a show or just take it and set it up at a judging
to catch those few that make it to the awards shot? Do you need a
floor standing model? or will a table top size do the trick?

John has one - he will not take to a show. It weighs too much and is
too unwieldy in traffic.

Diffusers - the best I have found is an man's older handy. If it is
a nice white cotton and well worn (Mom would have said worn out.) the
washing has made it thin, but even weave cuts the light.

SuE
Old 30-12-2007, 08:17 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.orchids

Thanks for the info, Joan. Frank has been looking at that one. Our *main*
camera is a Panasonic Lumix and he loves it.

Love the cat.......our cat, Casper, is also largely white with a dirty face
and blue eyes!

Diana

"Joan F (MI)" wrote in message
Try the Panasonic Lumix DMC-TZ3, I just got one recently and it has an
excellent lens. It's not the smallest of cameras but definitely pocket
size, 10x zoom lens that starts out at 28mm wide angle. I got one for
$240
he http://www.vanns.com/shop/servlet/it...ails/495324917 I am
very
happy with mine, here's a closeup of my cat that shows how well defined
the
details are.

Old 30-12-2007, 09:31 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.orchids

On Sat, 29 Dec 2007 09:14:41 -0800, K Barrett wrote
(in article ):

Stupid questions for the group:

Can any tripod mount to any camera? Is there a standard? Have you a tripod
recommendation?

What is EV compensation? Do you ever use it? If that's too difficult a
question just say so and I'll google it

Do you ever alter the brightness of the flash?

Do you ever set the ISO sensitivity?

Do you use the picture/scene settings or do you just set it on Auto and
forget it?

The most I ever do is set the focal length to Macro and decide whether or
not to use the flash. The bulk of my shots are macro and auto focus. I do
not set anything else. I don't use Flash +/-, EV+/-, scene selections, etc.
I shoot everything sized for the web (400 x 600?) I rarely shoot a picture
at full resolution.

I have a Nikon coolpix 7900 at my disposal which is really rather nice, but
it has so many options, icons for which all show on the LCD. They make me
pause to interpret them whilst I'm setting up a shot. So I figured I'd ask
to see if anyone really uses these options, so I'd know if I had to commit
the instruction manual to heart....

K Barrett

"Diana Kulaga" wrote in message
.. .
All:

We have a nice Panasonic digital and are very happy with it. What I'd like
to find is something very small and easily transportable (in a pocket,
fanny pack, etc.), and not complicated.

The Panasonic is terrific for many things, but it's a pain to carry and
for candids. Any suggestions? I'll take them and then go to the comp site.

Diana

Sent you an e-mail about this one, Kath.

Tom
Walnut Creek, CA
Nikon D200

Old 02-01-2008, 01:02 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.orchids

Image stabilization is pretty good, but for really tight macros where the
slightest movement screws you up, a tripod is still important.

"Uncle_vito" wrote in message
With picture stabilization you may not need a tripod. That is supposed to
take the effects of shake out of the picture. Many cameras have this
option.

Vito

"K Barrett" wrote in message
. ..
[...]