Old 02-05-2008, 01:29 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.orchids

Default Phal. Wedding Promenade

A close-up of my newest purchase in bloom. Before it was done blooming, it
sprouted another flower spike and it hopes for 6, maybe 7 more flowers that
should start opening this week.

Attached Thumbnails
Phal. Wedding Promenade-wedding-promenade.jpg
Old 02-05-2008, 02:13 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.orchids

Here are a few links to pix of Phal. Wedding Promenade. OrchidWiz has it
listed (it's an equestris cross), but no picture.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/gemjulez/2221061136/

http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/showimage/168365/

http://home-and-garden.webshots.com/...33964273aeWMyh

Obviously, there are differences, but that's normal. Looks more like
Maggie's Mom's than yours, Chris. Can't be sure, but yours looks
suspiciously like a Taiscuco hybrid to me.

Diana

"Chris Savas" wrote in message

"Maggie's Mom" wrote in message
. ..
A close-up of my newest purchase in bloom. Before it was done blooming, it
sprouted another flower spike and it hopes for 6, maybe 7 more flowers
that
should start opening this week.

Nice coloring. Now, I hope I don't have a plant that was mislabeled.
Here is my Phal. Wedding Promenade.

Chris in Central Florida.
(remove the not from address to reply by email)

Old 02-05-2008, 02:19 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.orchids

I bought mine at Lowe's - no specialty store, but every now and then they
have few nice plants for sale in the garden section. The label on it was
"wedding promenade". I actually kept the label, it is still in the pot.

Could there be so many variations in color in one kind of orchid?

Peace, - Maggie's Mom.

Old 02-05-2008, 02:25 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.orchids

To answer my own question, here's one labeled wedding promenade, and it does
not look anything like Chris's or mine...

http://plantnaturephoto.blogspot.com...promenade.html

Old 02-05-2008, 02:49 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.orchids

I saw that one too, when I Googled it. It's the only one that is completely
different. Of course, we need to remember that all these are posted by
amateurs like us, and their tags can be wrong.

As to variations, they can be huge within a hybrid. It's not impossible that
all the photo links, and yours too, are valid. Chris's photo, to me, at
least, is far off the mark. But I'm no expert.

Save those tags, always. And sometimes we can find a few nifties at the big
box stores. You never know. I've seen some species thrown in with the
garbage now and then.

Diana
news

Old 02-05-2008, 01:05 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.orchids

The award description for 'Pink Profusion' HCC/AOS sates: "Twenty-eight
flowers on one inflorescence; sepals and petals medium rose-purple; lip deep
rose-purple with white and maroon spotting at base." which is pretty much
what Chris' flower looks like.

My guess is that Maggiesmom is the plant with the mistaken tag. None of the
descriptors or online pictures have that level of spotting.

Old 02-05-2008, 04:21 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.orchids

That would be very difficult to do since so many of these look alike.
Your best bet is to go back to where you bought it, they may still have some
& check on the tags,
you may see your flower with the correct name tag? In fact, write down the
names of the other phals
& grower info then research on the internet.
Cheers Wendy

Old 02-05-2008, 08:40 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.orchids

Wendy's right. It's not as if we wouldn't *like* to guess at an ID. There
are too many hybrids that are similar to allow for a guess. Enjoy it, and
Wendy's method might produce a name.

Diana

Old 02-05-2008, 11:09 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.orchids

I'll stop at Lowe's and see what they have (who knows, maybe I will come
back with another orchid?). I will also ask who they buy their plants from,
and maybe the grower can give me the correct answer. Until then, I will
enjoy its beauty regardless of the proper name, and promise to post pictures
when it opens.

Peace, - Maggie's Mom.