Old 02-09-2005, 08:09 PM
chaz

Default What are YOU doing for the victims of Katrina?

What are YOU doing for the victims of Katrina?

We all need to do our part. I thought posting what WE are doing might prompt
others in doing their par.

chaz

I am giving money to the Red Cross.

I will send clothes if thats a viable thing to do.

I know cash always works.

Old 02-09-2005, 09:40 PM
Diana Kulaga

What are YOU doing for the victims of Katrina?

See Rob Halgren's earlier post; the subject line is Hurricane relief and a
plant to boot. His is a good idea.

We've sent a check to www.stormaid.com . It's run by Clear Channel
Communications, so it's legit; there are lots of scams out there. Sending
supplies is always tetchy unless the problem is local, where you know what
to send and where to send it.

Diana

Old 02-09-2005, 10:48 PM
unknown

donations to HSUS (who are paying for my local horse rescue to go down
with the stock trailer and slings etc) and america's second harvest, an
umbrella group that organizes food banks. (ASH is boots on the ground
in NO trying to get into its warehouses, which are under water at the
moment.)

http://www.secondharvest.org/default2.asp

http://www.hsus.org/

um, also wrangled some $$ to the red cross out of my firm. no doubt
that will be the tip of the iceberg for the office, however. we have
ppl on the boards of several of the huge int'l charities and they're
putting their heads together this weekend to send a big wad of aid down.

as mentioned before, beware the phishers. anything with "katrina" in
the domain name that's only a couple days old is probably a scam. (low
lying scum sucking bottom feeding #@!@! $!@! !$#!$-ing slime. these
people should be horsewhipped.

--j_a
Old 02-09-2005, 11:32 PM
?

On Fri, 2 Sep 2005 16:40:26 -0400 in Diana Kulaga wrote:
What are YOU doing for the victims of Katrina?

See Rob Halgren's earlier post; the subject line is Hurricane relief and a
plant to boot. His is a good idea.

We've sent a check to www.stormaid.com . It's run by [Horrid radio
conglomerate], so it's legit; there are lots of scams out there. Sending
supplies is always tetchy unless the problem is local, where you know what
to send and where to send it.

Okay, I'm entirely too much the cynic but...

You just provided free advertising for a group that does an awful lot of
advertising.
While their overhead costs should actually be lower (Zero) than those for
American Red Cross or even a local food bank, odds are the money is
going to American Red Cross.

I know the concept of extended family is dieing, but if you have 2nd or
3rd cousins along the gulf, send directly to them even if your side
of the family has been feuding with that side of the family for
longer than you've been alive.
Find a place that's been thoroughly shredded that hasn't been getting the
news coverage new orleans has.
Find out what union workers at the shutdown refineries belong to. Ask
those unions what towns you should donate to.
Find a place that did everything right to handle the hurricane but got
pasted anyways.
Find out where the non-neworleans refugees are going to...

Make it personal. Make it a tragedy. Avoid turning it into a statistic.
Sure you'll make mistakes, but no worse than the political BS that's
been flying already.

And as for avoiding scams, it isn't 100% possible, but if they were in
the phonebook and are a standard organization like salvation army,
good will, habitat for humanity, food bank...
--
Chris Dukes
Suspicion breeds confidence -- Brazil
Old 03-09-2005, 03:13 AM
Ray

My company (my real job) is matching dollar-for-dollar our contributions to
the Red Cross for Katrina victims.

I intend to drop a check on them Tuesday.If anyone wants to double their
contribution and doesn't care about the tax write off, I'd be happy to lump
it in with mine.

ink.net...