Old 02-09-2005, 08:09 PM
chaz

Default What are YOU doing for the victims of Katrina?

What are YOU doing for the victims of Katrina?

We all need to do our part. I thought posting what WE are doing might prompt
others in doing their par.

chaz

I am giving money to the Red Cross.

I will send clothes if thats a viable thing to do.

I know cash always works.

Old 02-09-2005, 08:47 PM
Snooze

"chaz" wrote in message
ink.net...
What are YOU doing for the victims of Katrina?
We all need to do our part. I thought posting what WE are doing might
prompt others in doing their par.

chaz

I am giving money to the Red Cross.
I will send clothes if thats a viable thing to do.
I know cash always works.

Donating supplies, while appreciated isn't as helpful as cash. The red cross
then has to pay to ship the supplies, and they often aren't the needed
supplies. When the redcross spends money locally, they can get the supplies
they need, and it helps restart the local economy.

-S

Old 02-09-2005, 09:17 PM
zxcvbob

chaz wrote:
What are YOU doing for the victims of Katrina?

We all need to do our part. I thought posting what WE are doing might prompt
others in doing their par.

chaz

I am giving money to the Red Cross.

I will send clothes if thats a viable thing to do.

I know cash always works.

I'm not doing anything at the moment because I'm stuck out-of-town to
attend a funeral. When I get back home next week I'm gonna figure out
the most tax efficient way to make a large contribution to the Southern
Baptist's North American Missions Board. (I'll probably donate a bunch
of appreciated stock so I can write off the whole amount without paying
capital gains tax first)

NAMB sends 100% of contributions to aid disaster victims (I believe they
pay their overhead costs from the SB's general fund), and they
coordinate their efforts with the Red Cross and the Salvation Army.

P.S. Chaz, donate the clothes locally. Local relief agencies are gonna
be hurting as hurricane and tsunami relief suck up a lot of the
available charity resources.

-Bob
Old 02-09-2005, 10:19 PM
John

I was going to donate until I heard that they a

1) Looting
2) Raping each other
3) Slitting each others throats
4) Shoooting at police and emergency assistance personnel
5) Robbing jewelry and other valuables from the dead

Now I can't even watch TV because of the anarchy/chaos/barbarism, etc. by
those affected. I know that desperate times cause for desperate measures,
but gangs raping children, and people looting big screen TV's, jewelry and
guns makes me sick, and quickly squashes any feelings I may have to donate
to this cause.

I have been in some pretty bad situations (I am a 18-year military vet), but
the things those "Americans" are doing to each other makes me wonder what
the world has come to.

I expect them to start eating each other pretty soon.

If it was me, I would take all the wood that's loose, and make a raft and
float and everyone else I can carry back to dry land. And then start
walking. I wouldn't be shooting people or raping or any of the other sick
things that are happening there.

It's just sad.

ink.net...

Old 02-09-2005, 10:19 PM
Gideon

==========

None of YOUR ****ing business.

Old 02-09-2005, 10:52 PM
Snooze

"zxcvbob" wrote in message

I'm not doing anything at the moment because I'm stuck out-of-town to
attend a funeral. When I get back home next week I'm gonna figure out the
most tax efficient way to make a large contribution to the Southern
Baptist's North American Missions Board. (I'll probably donate a bunch of
appreciated stock so I can write off the whole amount without paying
capital gains tax first)

Ultimately it's your choice where you donate send your money, however faith
based organizations have a history of attempting to bring religion along
with their assistance. Better to donate to secular organizations such as the
Red Cross. The Red Cross will accept equities as well.

-S

Old 03-09-2005, 12:10 AM
paghat

In article , "Snooze"
wrote:

"zxcvbob" wrote in message

I'm not doing anything at the moment because I'm stuck out-of-town to
attend a funeral. When I get back home next week I'm gonna figure out the
most tax efficient way to make a large contribution to the Southern
Baptist's North American Missions Board. (I'll probably donate a bunch of
appreciated stock so I can write off the whole amount without paying
capital gains tax first)

Ultimately it's your choice where you donate send your money, however faith
based organizations have a history of attempting to bring religion along
with their assistance. Better to donate to secular organizations such as the
Red Cross. The Red Cross will accept equities as well.

-S

DONATIONS TO THE RED CROSS CAN BE DOUBLED IN VALUE by donating through
such companies as Kroger stores that have a "matching funds" policy for
Katrina relief. Check right where you work to see if they have a matching
fund policy, as many do whether you donate to Red Cross or National Public
Radio or the local symphony orchestra or the SPCA's Katrina Response.

The Red Cross of course uses "popular" crises to raise money broadly, so
whoever gives has to not care that Red Cross money is used for crises they
never heard about. Anyone who wanted to target specifically Louisiana or
New Orleans for personal emotional reasons would want to give to that
state's agencies only. Or to Alabama charities; Alabama has it just as bad
but they don't have any one city as wonderful as New Orleans so they're
getting a bit screwed on this charity business.

But one also has to be aware that there have instantly grown up dozens of
donation scams (several with their own domain names that look very
authentic for on-line giving) & if you never heard of the organization
there's way too high a chance it's a fraud. Just because 150 different
blog sites say "click here to donate to Katrina" doesn't mean it's legit.
It is sometimes just best to stick to places like www.salvationarmyusa.org
or redcross.org just so you know you're not giving your credit card info
to a fake-out criminal.

I wouldn't give to any religious organization unless it was my own faith
supposing I had one, as faith charity effectiveness is highly hit & miss
with some using a minimal percentage of donations to assist anyone but
their own institutional perpetuation. A very few, like the Menonite
charity, use the majority of donations to assist, but in the main we
individuals aren't qualified to figure out if the methodist or catholic or
islamic Katrina charitable claims are wasteful good intentions, badly or
well run, or out to do nothing but rebuild a few ruined church properties.

Anyone who wants to assist the much overlooked pet population should
contact the Louisiana SPCA at www.la-spca.org to make a donation or the
Human Society Katrina Response Team. Red Cross has a harmful policy to
help no animals, so end up turning many people away from shelters for
having a pet they are unwilling to abandon immediately. So the work of the
Human Society's Katrina Response Team becomes more important than may at
first blush seem probable -- people carrying their dogs or cats are not
going to be helped by the Red Cross or most other charities, so give at
www.hsus.org or la-spca.org.

-paghat the ratgirl
--
Get your Paghat the Ratgirl T-Shirt he
http://www.paghat.com/giftshop.html
Old 03-09-2005, 03:14 AM
chaz

"Gideon" wrote in message
. ..

chaz wrote in message ...
What are YOU doing for the victims of Katrina?

==========

None of YOUR ****ing business.

you are correct, killfile

Old 03-09-2005, 04:39 AM

With all the help the United Nations is kicking in any meager amount I
could give is too small to make a difference, guess I'm tapped out
after donating to the tsunami relief fund. Not being cynical just tired
of being the redheaded stepchild.

Old 03-09-2005, 01:34 PM
tomkanpa

I'm donating all my disposable income to the local Sunoco station!

Old 03-09-2005, 09:07 PM

On 3 Sep 2005 05:34:34 -0700, "tomkanpa" wrote:

I'm donating all my disposable income to the local Sunoco station!

Good thinking, Tom. It's the only way to accept that life is a gas!

Best wishes

Geoff
Old 03-09-2005, 09:59 PM
madgardener

wrote in message
On 3 Sep 2005 05:34:34 -0700, "tomkanpa" wrote:

I'm donating all my disposable income to the local Sunoco station!

Good thinking, Tom. It's the only way to accept that life is a gas!

Best wishes

Geoff

so what is petrol costing in Scotland, Geoff??
maddie

Old 03-09-2005, 10:22 PM
Warren

tomkanpa wrote:
I'm donating all my disposable income to the local Sunoco station!

I'm assuming that the refiners will be donating their extra profits to the
relief effort.

Here in the Pacific Northwest, our gas prices traditionally have been higher
than in the East. And the reason they've always given us is that we can't
take advantage of the plentiful supplies in the East because there's no
economical way to get any excess over to us except via the Panama Canal.

Yet our gas prices have jumped 40-cents a gallon in the last couple of days,
and the answer is that it's a shortage because of Katrina. Hmmm. Something
isn't adding up here. We don't get the benefit of plentiful supplies in the
East, but we suffer the same problems when there's a shortage?

So I'm guessing that the refiners on the West Coast are taking advantage of
our willingness to accept the higher prices because the extra profit will be
donated to the relief effort. It certainly can't be price gouging. Nor could
it be that they lied about how the supplies are separate. So it must be that
the extra cost at the pumps will be donated to the relief effort. Right?

--
Warren H.

==========
to go outside now.
Have an outdoor project? Get a Black & Decker power tool::
http://www.holzemville.com/mall/blackanddecker/

Old 04-09-2005, 01:26 AM
Tom Randy

On 2005-09-02 15:09:27 -0400, "chaz" said:

What are YOU doing for the victims of Katrina?

We all need to do our part. I thought posting what WE are doing might
prompt others in doing their par.

chaz

I am giving money to the Red Cross.

I will send clothes if thats a viable thing to do.

I know cash always works.

I donated to the Red Cross.

--
Chris: "Dad, what's a blowhole for?"
Peter: "I'll tell you what it's NOT for and then you'll know why I can

Old 04-09-2005, 01:54 AM
David Ross

chaz wrote:

What are YOU doing for the victims of Katrina?

I'm doing nothing. During 9-10 January, record-breaking rains hit
southern California, resulting in a Presidential disaster
declaration. The hill in my backyard decided to become part of my
lawn.

The cost to repair will be about 1.5 times what I originally paid
for my house, if I could only get a grading contractor to return my
phone calls. This is a loss for which there is no insurance and
never was. It's not a flood or earthquake; it's a landslide. And
when it is finally repaired, there is no guantantee that it won't
slide again.

No one had a fund-raising to provide me with any disaster relief.
While I have secured a federal disaster loan to pay for the repair,
I will have to repay the loan -- from my Social Security and
pension since I'm retired.

The rains may return in two months and make the slide worse,
endangering two homes on the street above me. But no grading
contractor will talk to me.

In the meantime, the Los Angeles Times today reported that the Army
Corps of Engineers repeatedly asked for more funds to renovate and
strengthen the levies around New Orleans. But President Bush and
Congress repeatedly cut the funding to half or less than what the
Army requested.

--

David E. Ross

[IMG] code is On

Devious Dodder Vine Sniffs Out Its Victims JoeSpareBedroom Gardening 1 30-09-2006 02:30 AM
black victims of usa while North Carolina 0 13-09-2005 05:36 PM
Katrina killed my crop! FDR Edible Gardening 6 11-09-2005 08:25 PM
Katrina madgardener Gardening 60 05-09-2005 10:51 AM
What are YOU doing for the victims of Katrina? chaz Orchids 4 03-09-2005 03:13 AM