Old 17-03-2003, 06:32 AM
woody

Default Newbie Question

I am new to this with my first orchid, a phal I believe, obtained last
September. After the first blooms fell of after two months, I cut the
stem back and now have nine new buds about to open. I have a question
I have not seen addressed. Two shoots have appeared at the base of
the plant. They are about the thickness of a pencil and have grown
across the surface of the moss potting medium for about an inch, and
now seem to be turning down into the medium. Could someone tell me
what they are, and should I do anything about them.
Old 17-03-2003, 07:32 AM
Reka

If they look somewhat like the photo at the top of
http://dorchids.members.atlantic.net/orchid_care.html, the only thing you
need to do about them is be happy. They are new roots, which means your
plant is happy, too. Look at the culture sheet for Phalaenopsis at
http://www.theaos.org/orchids/cultur...nner/phals.pdf for some basic info
on how to care for your orchid.
--
Reka
http://www.rolbox.it/hukari/index.html
m...

Old 19-03-2003, 01:44 AM
Fred Garvin

On Mon, 17 Mar 2003 01:28:44 -0500, woody wrote:

I am new to this with my first orchid, a phal I believe, obtained last
September. After the first blooms fell of after two months, I cut the
stem back and now have nine new buds about to open. I have a question I
have not seen addressed. Two shoots have appeared at the base of the
plant. They are about the thickness of a pencil and have grown across
the surface of the moss potting medium for about an inch, and now seem to
be turning down into the medium. Could someone tell me what they are,
and should I do anything about them.

Sounds like new roots to me, congrats! It's a good thing.

[IBC] Newbie question Jim Lewis Bonsai 7 03-09-2003 01:42 AM
Newbie Potato Tire Question Richard Lovering Edible Gardening 5 27-07-2003 11:02 AM
[IBC] Repotting- Newbie question Luis Fontanills Bonsai 6 01-04-2003 07:20 AM
Repotting- Newbie question Buridan Bonsai 0 30-03-2003 02:32 AM
Newbie question Buridan Bonsai 3 26-01-2003 07:53 PM