Old 21-09-2005, 08:02 AM
Bryan

Default Orchid medium

Hello all:

Can anybody recommend a good mix for repotting Phal's. Every phal I have
bought from a nursery comes potted with Spahngum moss, but all the packaged
mixes are a bark and soil mixture.

I seem to recall reading that a good mix is 50/50 mix of coarse fir bark and
charcoal. Would this be a good choice for phal's, maybe mix in some spaghnum
moss as well.

Thanks in advance

Old 21-09-2005, 10:45 AM
Ray

Bryan,

The question is not as easy as "what should I use?" The key to orchid
growing is managing the air flow to the root system, and how that is
accomplished while still providing adequate water and nutrition will vary
based upon the grower's conditions and watering habits, as well as the needs
of the plants themselves. Good quality sphagnum is a fantastic medium for
some plants, but you have to make sure it doesn't get compact and soppy.

Phals like to have a moderate moisture supply at all times, as they have a
very limited storage capacity - those thick leaves - so you have to find a
medium that holds moisture while staying airy. That 50/50 coarse fir
bark/charcoal medium would certainly be airy, but you'd probably have a hard
time keeping it moist, especially in the dry conditions of winter.

On the other hand, if you took that medium and mixed in some of that
sphagnum - 10%-20% by volume, maybe - it might do the trick.

Old 22-09-2005, 09:24 AM
nigel savage

A few months ago I repotted some phals in expanded clay 8mm-10mm
granules and they have been loving it (new leaves, new spikes, new
roots). Granted I had to modify the watering somewhat (slightly more
often) but I am extremely pleased with the results so far. Next ones I
repot will probably be a bark/leca (30/7) mix however to maintain the
humidity for a little longer. LECA is fantastic for air flow through
the roots and I think aesthetically it's very pleasing too.

Old 22-09-2005, 10:41 AM
Ray

Forget mixing the bark with the LECA. While the LECA may be reused and
potted-on as the plant grows, adding bark makes the medium as a whole
degradable, so will require replacement.

Why not consider semi-hydroponics? (check my website for info)

ups.com...

Old 28-09-2005, 02:22 PM
dusty

"Bryan" wrote in news:Zz7Ye.535720$s54.252996@pd7tw2no:

Hello all:

Can anybody recommend a good mix for repotting Phal's. Every phal I
have bought from a nursery comes potted with Spahngum moss, but all
the packaged mixes are a bark and soil mixture.

I seem to recall reading that a good mix is 50/50 mix of coarse fir
bark and charcoal. Would this be a good choice for phal's, maybe mix
in some spaghnum moss as well.

Thanks in advance

I also tried some of those bark with floor sweepings and didn't like them.

This mix works well for me
3 parts 1/2 inch coconut husk
1 part horticultural charcoal 3/8 to 1/2 inch
1 part horticultural large/coarse perlite

with phals, catts, dens,and oncs

Grow well and bloom magnificently
dusty