Old 29-09-2005, 01:00 AM
chaz

Default Orchid Problem

I have a phal given to me by a friend. Has a stalk for blooms and 2 good
sized leaves (5-6 inches)

I have since lost one leaf and the other is now yellowing at the tip. Yet a
new leaf is peaking out from the center.

Its potted in orchid mix, and in a 6 inch pot

What gives?

chaz

Old 29-09-2005, 03:56 AM
J Fortuna

Chaz,

Does this orchid have any other leaves, or did it come to you with 2 leaves
only (+ the new leaf - lost one leaf). Once the leaf that just started
yellowing falls off, will the new leaf be the only leaf left? If so this
orchid is in dire shape. If however this phal has more leaves, then how many
leaves does it have left? I would not worry much over a yellowing leaf if it
had several healthy leaves and a new one on the way -- especially if the
leaf that is yellowing is a lower leaf; new leafs form on top, and old
leaves should fade from the bottom. Generally whenever one of my Phals
looses more than one leaf in quick succession (especially if it has not
grown a new leaf or if it is loosing leaves much more rapidly than
replenishing with new ones), I tend to cut off the flowering stalk, since
that takes energy to maintain -- if the flower spike is in bloom, I put it
in a vase. Then I will usually repot the plant to look at the health of the
roots, and trim away any rotten ones.

Joanna

nk.net...

Old 29-09-2005, 04:56 PM
chaz

Hi,
Thank you for the response. It has 2 "adult" leaves now, had 3, one had died
3 weeks ago. The oldest of the 2 remaining is yellowing. It has one
remaining adult leaf and one new leaf peaking out from the center. I will
check the roots tonight.

"J Fortuna" wrote in message
[...]

nk.net...

Old 29-09-2005, 09:23 PM
Kenni Judd

Joanna summed it up with "dire straits." If you are determined to try
life-support, plan on treating for fungus. Personally, I'd pitch it unless
it was something "special" (great clone, sentimental value, or something);
otherwise, I'd douse it with something broad-spectrum like RD-20 while it's
out of the pot. Kenni