Old 10-10-2005, 04:05 PM
charles VanDyke

Default pH MSU and Jack's Fertilizers

Has anyone checked the actual pH of the 125 ppm solutions of MSU fertilizer
in RO water? My pH meter indicates a pH of about 5.4 and I wonder if I
have to add a small amount of Pro-tect to get it above 6.

By the way, has anyone compared Jack's Classic RO water orchid fertilizer
with the MSU formula. The Jacks instructions recommends the addition of a
powder they sell that contains potassium bicarbonate (for pH control ie
upping the pH) and magnesium sulfate (to provide extra sulfur which they
say is beneficial)

Thanks

Charles VanDyke
Old 10-10-2005, 10:30 PM
Ray

I spoke just the other day with Bill Argo (Blackmore, PhD who designed the
stuff for the MSU study), and they add a small amount of citric acid to the
fertilizer to enhance solubility of some of the metallic ions.

I have used it as-is for 2.5 years with no issues.

Old 10-10-2005, 11:40 PM
Pat Brennan

The last time this topic came up, I wrote to both Dr. Argo and Jack Peters
about it. Neither replied. I throw my arms up and pass.

Pat

Old 11-10-2005, 08:57 PM
Dave Sheehy

Ray ) wrote:
: I spoke just the other day with Bill Argo (Blackmore, PhD who designed the
: stuff for the MSU study), and they add a small amount of citric acid to the
: fertilizer to enhance solubility of some of the metallic ions.

My understanding is that citric acid is a chelating agent. So, the citric
acid (minus the H+) bonds to the metal ion preventing it from reacting with
other ions in the solution which could form a precipitate.

Dave

MSU fertilizer Joern Ploeger Orchids 6 19-02-2005 08:20 PM
MSU Fertilizer Article Ray Orchids 1 06-04-2004 09:17 PM
MSU-type Fertilizer with Tap Water Matthew Donadio Orchids 8 27-02-2004 11:02 AM
MSU-type Fertilizer with Tap Water Matthew Donadio Orchids 0 26-02-2004 02:25 AM
Ray! About MSU fertilizer! Claude Orchids 1 29-01-2004 11:14 PM