Old 26-02-2004, 02:30 AM
Matthew Donadio

Default MSU-type Fertilizer with Tap Water

Hi all,

Does anyone here use an MSU-type fertilizer with tap water?

Unfortunately, an RO unit is out of the picture for a while, so I am stuck
with tap water until I can figure out a rain collection method. I read the
article in Orchids, and if I understand it correctly, their tap/well water
forumla was designed for that particular well at MSU, and that they
recommend the RO formula (13-3-15-8-2) in general. Is this correct?

Thanks.

--Matt Donadio )

Old 26-02-2004, 03:59 PM
Lalam

I use Jack's pro 15-5-15 +Cal-Mag.
Like the MSU fert, this fert is formulated for low alkalinity water.
But my tap water has medium alkalinity. So I adjust my diluted fert
solution pH to around 5.5 with citric acid. This decreases the
solution alkalinity to the right level for that fert (from 60 ppm
alkalinity to 10 ppm).

If you have the june edition of Orchids, there is an article on the
MSU fert. They used the MSU well water formulation with very hard tap
water, but they also adjusted the water pH with an organic acid to
decrease the water alkalinity (and pH).

Hope this could help.
Laurence

Old 26-02-2004, 09:13 PM
Bob Walsh

Matthew,

If you are using "city" water call your city water dept. and ask them for a
copy of the water analysis.

If you have your own well take a sample to a pet store or to a friend that's
really into tropical fish and ask them to check your acid/alkalinity,
calcium/magnesium and water hardness. If they can do anything else that's
probably ok too. If you have a well ask them to check the nitrate level too.
That level should be very low if their is a baby drinking the water.

Post the results here and I'll guess someone smarter than I (that's most
everybody, esp. when it comes to chemistry will post a response that will
help you.

Bob

Old 27-02-2004, 12:09 AM
Ray

Yes there is, Matt. The producers typically refer to it as a "well-water"
formula. I am so impressed with the RO stuff that I'll be carrying both
shortly. I have become a distributor for the JR Peters versions, and am
expecting to pick up my first load next Friday (3/5).

.. . . . . . . . . . .

Old 27-02-2004, 01:34 AM
Matthew Donadio

Ray,

I am a bit confused here. Please forgive me; I have been out of touch with
the orchid community for about a year and a half...

On the page 456 of June 2003 issue of Orchids, there are the statements:

``Due to the extreme variability of well-water mineral content, the RO Water
Special formula is the preferred choice for the home grower. The second
formula, called Well Water Special or 19-4-23, was designed to complement
the well water found at Michigan State University.''

I read this as: Everyone should use the RO forumula unless your tap/well
water matches the MSU well characteristics. Am I off here? Are people
having success using the Well Water forumla in tap water, even though it
probably doesn't match the MSU well analysis?

Thanks.

--Matt Donadio )

"Ray" wrote in message
Yes there is, Matt. The producers typically refer to it as a "well-water"
formula. I am so impressed with the RO stuff that I'll be carrying both
shortly. I have become a distributor for the JR Peters versions, and am
expecting to pick up my first load next Friday (3/5).

. . . . . . . . . . .

Old 27-02-2004, 11:02 AM
Ray

Yes Matt, you're "off" there.

OK - the baseline is RO, as it is essentially free of all dissolved solids,
The fertilizer is designed to provide the all of the nutrition needed by the
plants.

Fine, but (generic) you don't use RO. Instead, you have a municipal or
private well water source. In the case of the MSU study, they analyzed the
water and concocted a formula that when added to their well water,
more-or-less matched the RO formula in pure water.

From that, one should conclude that each individual should have their water
analyzed, then have a custom formulation blended just for their water
supply. It can be done, IF you're willing to pay for it., but imagine the
number of different formulae that would be needed. So, (simplifying
greatly)...

The fertilizer companies "averaged" the water chemistry likely to be seen by
potential customers and designed a generic formula that is likely to be
acceptable for all. Hence the "well water" brands.

"Ray" wrote in message
[...]

Tap, Tap, Tap.......... - LBTER/LBTR/CMDY/ASSC/ASS-C ˇGölök Z.L.F Buday AKA The Absent Mind?, AKA Ian Flaming?, AKA Frosty D'Hitman? Ponds 0 21-09-2007 02:10 PM
Tap, Tap, Tap.......... - LBTER/LBTR/CMDY/ASSC/ASS-C klunk Ponds 0 21-09-2007 09:54 AM
MSU fertilizer Joern Ploeger Orchids 6 19-02-2005 08:20 PM
MSU-type Fertilizer with Tap Water Matthew Donadio Orchids 0 26-02-2004 02:25 AM
Ray! About MSU fertilizer! Claude Orchids 1 29-01-2004 11:14 PM