Old 25-10-2005, 06:24 PM
Nancy G.

Default New vanilla cutting

Went to our local orchid meeting last night. Took a tolumnia
prionochilum for the hostess, and received a cutting of vanilla from
the contribution of another member.

I usually don't try to start cuttings this time of year, but was
planning on layering it on the top of potting medium and keeping it in
my main house, which is warmer than my sunroom right now.

Do any of you have any other suggestions?

Nancy

Old 26-10-2005, 01:55 PM
Phalguy

Hello!

I started mine by removing the last leaf from the stem and put the stem in
plain water. In less that 10 days, I had roots and I potted my vanilla in
S/H pot and leca !
It`s now growing under my fluorescent ! When I bought it, it was a 12 inch
cutting and now, I would say it has grown 3 or 4 feet long !

Claude

oups.com...

Old 27-10-2005, 04:07 AM
Gene Schurg

Nancy,

Just remove a bottom leaf or two to expose the leaf node. Stick it in some
dirt (I use pro-mix) and water it. Keep it in a bright location but out of
direct sun until it forms roots.

I keep breaking my plants trying to guide them where I want them to grow. I
have a couple of cutting compots that I have started this way. They are an
easy plant to root and grow....a bit more challenging to bloom since they
have to get very large to do so.

Good Growing,
Gene

"Phalguy" wrote in message
. ..
Hello!

I started mine by removing the last leaf from the stem and put the stem in
plain water. In less that 10 days, I had roots and I potted my vanilla in
S/H pot and leca !
It`s now growing under my fluorescent ! When I bought it, it was a 12 inch
cutting and now, I would say it has grown 3 or 4 feet long !

Claude

oups.com...

Old 19-11-2005, 08:38 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids
profpam

Great advice, Gene. These are fairly easy to grow; however, they appear
to (at least in California) put out new shoots in late summer and early
fall than any other time of the year.

Incidentally, this orchid can be grown indoors.

.. . . Pam
Everything Orchid Management System
http://home.earthlink.net/~profpam/page3.html

Gene Schurg wrote:
Nancy,

Just remove a bottom leaf or two to expose the leaf node. Stick it in some
dirt (I use pro-mix) and water it. Keep it in a bright location but out of
direct sun until it forms roots.

I keep breaking my plants trying to guide them where I want them to grow. I
have a couple of cutting compots that I have started this way. They are an
easy plant to root and grow....a bit more challenging to bloom since they
have to get very large to do so.

Good Growing,
Gene

"Phalguy" wrote in message
. ..

Hello!

I started mine by removing the last leaf from the stem and put the stem in
plain water. In less that 10 days, I had roots and I potted my vanilla in
S/H pot and leca !
It`s now growing under my fluorescent ! When I bought it, it was a 12 inch
cutting and now, I would say it has grown 3 or 4 feet long !

Claude

"Nancy G." wrote in message
groups.com...
| Went to our local orchid meeting last night. Took a tolumnia
| prionochilum for the hostess, and received a cutting of vanilla from
| the contribution of another member.
|
| I usually don't try to start cuttings this time of year, but was
| planning on layering it on the top of potting medium and keeping it in
| my main house, which is warmer than my sunroom right now.
|
| Do any of you have any other suggestions?
|
| Nancy

Looking for a Vanilla Tahitensis cutting [email protected] Orchids 0 19-02-2007 10:23 PM
cutting back on cutting back Cereoid-UR12- Gardening 0 23-09-2003 12:04 AM
Ping Benign Vanilla - OT - ~ jan JJsPond.us Ponds 2 06-06-2003 06:44 AM
Ping Benign Vanilla Nedra Ponds 3 02-06-2003 04:20 PM
Seeking Vanilla aphylla information Al Orchids 6 18-04-2003 07:08 PM