Old 04-11-2005, 02:34 AM
bobc

Default Oncidium Twinkle - white

Hello everyone! I have an Oncidium Twinkle. There is no clonal name
other than 'white' on the label. From searching this group's past
e-mails, I've learned that not all clones of this plant are fragrant,
and those that do have a fragrance vary in it's intensity.
However, I'm confused. Please let me know if I'm understanding this
correctly -
1. Onc. 'A' x Onc. 'B' = Onc. Twinkle
2. One of the seedlings was given the clonal name 'Fragrance Fantasy' ,
but every seedling of this cross is called Onc. Twinkle.
3. My plant is of the same grex as 'Fragrance Fantasy' - if it is one
of the seedlings of the original cross.
4. If it is a remake using different plants than originally used (even
though they would be the same two species), they would still carry the
grex name of Twinkle , but would be unrelated to the original grex.
Thanks!
Bob Campoli - Philadelphia, Pa - waiting for said plants to open their
flowers.

Old 04-11-2005, 10:45 AM
Ray

Hi, Bob.

I think maybe you're using the term "grex" a bit more specifically than I.
If you equate the word with "cross," it's more common. Other than that,
you're on the right track.

The grex (cross) A x B or B x A will always be Twinkle, the grex name.
That applies to every breeding, no matter which plants of Oncidiums A & B
are used, and to any Twinkle x Twinkle cross or Twinkle selfing.

'Fragrance Fantasy' was a single cultivar of Twinkle, and that cultivar name
applies to divisions and clones of that original plant only.

Out of curiosity (or maybe I just read too much into your post - it IS 5:30
and I haven't had that first cup of coffee yet) what makes you think yours
is from Moir's original cross of Onc. cheirophorum and Onc. ornithorhynchum?
It was registered in 1958!

ups.com...

Old 06-11-2005, 03:19 AM
bobc

HI Ray! I don't think I have one of the original plants of that grex.
In fact my particular plant was purchased at the Philadelphia flower
show last year from Parkside. It was a very healthy 4"pot. After it
was done flowering, I divided it into five pots and now each of them is
growing and flowering!!!
The label that came with the plant is : Onc. Twinkle - white
I knew of 'Fragrance Fantasy' and originally thought all Twinkle's
were fragrant.
My questions were from trying to get a handle on how my plant was
related to the original cross. I persist in thinking of plant
relationships in human terms - parent/child, siblings, cousins, etc.
and was just curious.
Another thing I learned from your answer was that a Twinkle x Twinkle
cross would also be Twinkle - If asked, I would have guessed it would
have been given a new grex name, since only Onc cheirophorum x Onc
ornithorynchum could be called Twinkle.
Bob Campoli - Philadelphia, Pa.

Onc Twinkle 'alba' V_coerulea Orchid Photos 0 17-01-2007 10:17 PM
Onc. Twinkle Red Fantasy wendy7 Orchid Photos 1 02-01-2007 10:28 AM
Den Blue Twinkle wendy7 Orchid Photos 3 27-12-2006 06:41 AM
Den. Blue Twinkle wendy7 Orchid Photos 15 14-12-2006 09:16 AM
peas twinkle variety gy1003 Edible Gardening 5 08-07-2005 09:54 AM