Old 10-11-2005, 12:48 AM
Gene Schurg

Default Storing Pollen

I may be in a situation where I want to save some pollen from a Phal in my
collection to pollenate another Phal that will bloom a couple weeks later.
What do I do to keep it viable?

Thanks,
Gene

Old 10-11-2005, 01:46 AM
K Barrett

Gene Schurg wrote:
I may be in a situation where I want to save some pollen from a Phal in my
collection to pollenate another Phal that will bloom a couple weeks later.
What do I do to keep it viable?

Thanks,
Gene

If Aaron Hicks weighs in take his advice. I have heard using
pharmaceutical gelcaps (I believe they are available at pharmacies). I
have heard more often that just storing them in tissue paper or an
envelope in your refrigerator works too. Some say the pollen is potent
for quite a while. I personally have no idea.

K Barrett
Old 10-11-2005, 05:18 AM
Xi Wang

Default question about fragrance

Hi list,

Just curious, do most Dtps. Kenneth Schubert plants have a fragrance?
It is half violacea after all...

I've also recently acquired Phal. gigantea, and Phal. amboinensis.
Various sources have given different descriptions for the fragrances of
these species. I was curious as to what other members of this list have
experienced in terms of scents.

TIA

Cheers,
Xi
Old 10-11-2005, 01:18 PM
J Fortuna

Xi,
My Dtps. Kenneth Schubert is not fragrant.
Joanna

Old 12-11-2005, 03:34 AM
Mick Fournier

Gene,

Find some white glossy paper like the kind found in high quality magazines.
fold into a 2"x2" envelope like a jeweler would make to contain his
diamonds. Put the cleaned up pollen in the envelope and tape it shut. Then
place the envelope inside a Tupperware container and put it in the
refrigerator... not the freezer.

Mick Fournier
HBI, Producers of Fine Orchids in Flask
www.OrchidFlask.com

=======================================

Old 13-11-2005, 04:22 AM
Mick Fournier

I have had some last three years with good results, but I try to use most
saved packages of pollen within two years.

Old 14-11-2005, 02:30 AM
Gene Schurg

That's good to know Mick.

Al gave me some from last spring that he had stored. I used a couple grains
this week. He had it in a test tube in an envelope made of paper.

We'll see if it works.

Good growing,
Gene