Old 23-11-2005, 10:04 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids
jamiemtl

Default lee moore Cattleya mooreana

Anyone know anything about this guy? I know he named the Cattelya
Mooreana, but has he ever been involved in any questionable trade of
wild orchids? Or of Orchid Smuggling?

Old 24-11-2005, 09:30 AM posted to rec.gardens.orchids
Karen

Hi Jamie

I dont know this guy, but I just found this article:
http://www.sptimes.com/2003/11/02/Ta..._scandal.shtml

His name did seem to ring a bell, seems he has been around for a long
time, probably pre-cites.

Seems that he owns one of the nurseries in peru which has a licens to
grow kovachii. How clean that makes him I dont know, but it doesnt make
him a bad guy.

More orchids have been named in his honour, eg.Catasetum moorei ,
Encyclia lemorea and Cattleya mooreana - and there is more.

Still hooked on the subject? I think you will have a hard time finding
a big time smugler who made a lot of money, orchids are addictive and
people get into these sort of things not so much to make money but to
satisfy their need for "more" orchids.... Orchid addiction is hard to
comprende, Eric Hansen did a fine job in Orchid Fever, Susan Orlean not
did understand it in her book "The Orchid Thief". But that is just my
oppinion.

I am hoping you will share your report, and also let us know what the
professor thinks; are we all medically ill?

Regards/ Karen

Old 24-11-2005, 09:54 AM posted to rec.gardens.orchids
Karen

Link seems to have gone dead... this article tells the same story,
seems Lee used to be involved in certain activities.

http://www.sarasotamagazine.com/Page...ories.asp?3786

Perhaps this guy knows more, but will he talk.

I for one am hoping for an "Orchide Fever II"

Old 24-11-2005, 08:42 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids
jamiemtl

thanks karen i will take a look. I will share the report definately
once it is done. My professor is a very tough marker and I probably
will get a C or a B if I'm lucky. Just can't figure out how to beat
him...anyways, its been an interesting study so far. thanks again.
jamie

Old 24-11-2005, 10:30 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids
Ted Byers

"jamiemtl" wrote in message
ups.com...
thanks karen i will take a look. I will share the report definately
once it is done. My professor is a very tough marker and I probably
will get a C or a B if I'm lucky. Just can't figure out how to beat
him...anyways, its been an interesting study so far. thanks again.
jamie

Why would you want to "beat" him? Just work hard to understand what he's
trying to teach, and you should do fine, I can tell you, from the
perspective of an educator, we're not out to get you. I had a reputation
for being the hardest marker on campus, but that was part of trying to get
students to achieve a higher academic standard; no room for half measures.
I regard it as critical that students develop the discipline of ensuring
that everything they do is done correctly; but I don't ask students to do
something I haven't taught them how to do, or to do anything unless I am
convinced they can do it well. My students thought me hard, but I acted out
of concern for their professional interest. I would assume that your
instructor is as concerned about your welfare as I was about my students,
and I'd encourage you to keep on trying your best.

Cheers

Ted

--
R.E. (Ted) Byers, Ph.D., Ed.D.
R & D Decision Support Solutions

Old 25-11-2005, 02:34 AM posted to rec.gardens.orchids
Mick Fournier

Jamie,

The Cattleya Mooreana is the ugliest of the Cattleyas I have ever seen.
That species and the second most ugly Cattleya forbesi are the two species
in this entire genera I have never wanted to carry in my catalog. I just
can't stand looking at them.

I used to buy orchids from Lee Moore in Miami a few days after he would
return from his trips down south. It was a bit odd to travel down to his
apartment in Miami and buy south/central American species right out of the
suitcases he carried back from Peru... they were all crushed from being
packed so tightly and dehydrated to the max. Sadly, most his plants were in
quarantine so long and sprayed with so many chemicals by the US government
that very few ever grew out to bloom for me. The fifth year when he called
me to see his fresh new "load" I passed on driving down to his house. But
many people did buy from him. Every time I went down there he always had at
least a half dozen buyers in his living room with wads of hot cash burning
holes in their pockets. I must say, Lee has some great war stories to tell
of his travels which I used to enjoy hearing... the guy is a talker and
great story teller.

Mick
HBI, Producers of Fine Orchids in Flask
www.OrchidFlask.com

"jamiemtl" wrote in message
oups.com...
Anyone know anything about this guy? I know he named the Cattelya
Mooreana, but has he ever been involved in any questionable trade of
wild orchids? Or of Orchid Smuggling?

Cattleya loddigesii - lovely silky-smooth purple bifoliate cattleya Eric Hunt[_1_] Orchid Photos 2 05-01-2007 02:04 AM
Cattleya jenmanii - classic large-flowered Cattleya Eric Hunt[_1_] Orchid Photos 2 02-01-2007 07:55 PM
Coelogyne Mooreana Francesco Orchids 5 21-01-2004 03:13 AM
Maxillaria mooreana baggins Orchids 0 12-01-2004 09:46 PM