Old 03-01-2006, 07:58 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids
BetsyB

Default Bak Truth Silver Chalice

Pics were posted on the binary group and I hope someone can guide me as to
how to take care of this.
BetsyB

"BetsyB" wrote in message
I bought this lovely plant a couple years ago and have not murdered it yet.
I have had no flowers since I first got it and now it's just nice healthy
looking stalks with a couple keiki looking thingies growing towards the
tops of one stalk . My Den Nobile had almost 17 keikis and it died soon
after. Thing this is on it's last legs too? It has new shoots coming from
the bottom and they look healthy enuf. I just am asking if I should remove
the new keikis and hope for the best. I repotted last year and otherwise it
looks good and I am still hoping. I looked on google for growing tips and
sound nothing.

BetsyB

P.S. Hoyas do far better under my care than orchids have.

Old 03-01-2006, 08:55 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids
Bill

"BetsyB" wrote in message
I bought this lovely plant a couple years ago and have not murdered it yet.
I have had no flowers since I first got it and now it's just nice healthy
looking stalks with a couple keiki looking thingies growing towards the
tops of one stalk . My Den Nobile had almost 17 keikis and it died soon
after. Thing this is on it's last legs too? It has new shoots coming from
the bottom and they look healthy enuf. I just am asking if I should remove
the new keikis and hope for the best. I repotted last year and otherwise it
looks good and I am still hoping. I looked on google for growing tips and
sound nothing.

BetsyB

P.S. Hoyas do far better under my care than orchids have.

Hi Betsy, Your original posting is about Bakerara Truth 'Silver
Chalice' but the story about the Dendrobium sort of muddies the waters.
Bakerara Truth is a member of the Oncidium family and, as such, does
not have "stalks" it has bulbs. Entirely different plant from a
Dendrobium & frankly I've never seen it make keikis. But it is possible
for keikis to grow from the top of a bulb that has lost it's leaves.
The care for Bakerara Truth is: grow it in as small a pot as will
contain the root system, in a well drained yet water retentive media.
Like cocoanut chips mixed with pearlite (there are lots of other mixes
you can use but it must never dry out.) Not be "wet" but well watered &
allowed to dry to "just moist" then water again. Fertilize "weekly
weakly" with a balanced fertilizer & give it 50% shade or 50% sun
however you want to say it. If it does indeed have keikis on it let
them alone till you have 4" of roots then gently remove keiki & dust
the area it came from with a fungicide (cinnamin is good) pot the keiki
in as small a pot as you can find or-- mount it on a small slab using
sphagnum moss for water retention till the plant grows larger. You can
go to my website: http://www.orchidislandorchids.com and click on
"care" at the top of any page. It will explain hoe to care for
Oncidiums. Good Luck, Bill

Old 03-01-2006, 09:17 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids
BetsyB

"Bill" wrote in message
ups.com...

"BetsyB" wrote in message
[...]

Thanks so much for the link, Bill. I will definitely check it out. They look
the same as the keikis on the Den I murdered previously.