Old 08-01-2006, 03:23 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids
J Fortuna

Default Phrag Ecua-Bess in spike!

Phrag Ecua-Bess which I got from Rob's Little Frog Farm in May is in spike
now! Actually it has been in spike since late November, when I first noticed
the double leaf emerging which someone here at rgo had told me is a
tell-tale sign of beginning of spike in Phrag, but at first I was not sure
whether to believe that it really was in spike -- I thought, maybe it was
going to have two leaves there after all, better not to set my heart on a
spike and be disappointed. After returning from the hospital with little
Robert, at first I did not have time to examine all the orchids for spike
activity, but when I did, I noticed that the Phrag now has what is
unmistakably a spike and not just leaves. Yay!

Joanna

Old 09-01-2006, 03:46 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids
Rob

J Fortuna wrote:
Phrag Ecua-Bess which I got from Rob's Little Frog Farm in May is in spike
now! Actually it has been in spike since late November, when I first noticed
the double leaf emerging which someone here at rgo had told me is a
tell-tale sign of beginning of spike in Phrag, but at first I was not sure
whether to believe that it really was in spike -- I thought, maybe it was
going to have two leaves there after all, better not to set my heart on a
spike and be disappointed. After returning from the hospital with little
Robert, at first I did not have time to examine all the orchids for spike
activity, but when I did, I noticed that the Phrag now has what is
unmistakably a spike and not just leaves. Yay!

Joanna

It is always fun to find a new spike. And I must confess, I look at my
plants every day. Or at least glance at them. *grin* And I still find
phrags in bloom that I didn't even know were in spike. I think phrag
spikes are sneaky. They seem to grow quite fast, and blend into the
background until those bright red or pink flowers pop up. Which is why
I grow few of the long petalled green/brown kind. I'd never notice them
in bloom!! Cattleyas sneak up on me too.

Rob

--
Rob's Rules: http://littlefrogfarm.com
2a) See rule 1

Old 16-02-2006, 01:52 AM posted to rec.gardens.orchids
Steve

J Fortuna wrote:
Phrag Ecua-Bess which I got from Rob's Little Frog Farm in May is in spike
now! Actually it has been in spike since late November, when I first noticed
the double leaf emerging which someone here at rgo had told me is a
tell-tale sign of beginning of spike in Phrag, but at first I was not sure
whether to believe that it really was in spike -- I thought, maybe it was
going to have two leaves there after all, better not to set my heart on a
spike and be disappointed. After returning from the hospital with little
Robert, at first I did not have time to examine all the orchids for spike
activity, but when I did, I noticed that the Phrag now has what is
unmistakably a spike and not just leaves. Yay!

Joanna

Well, 5 weeks have passed. Joanna, maybe you said and I missed it and
maybe I just forgot but what ever happened to this one?

Steve
Old 16-02-2006, 02:01 AM posted to rec.gardens.orchids
J Fortuna

Steve,
Thank you for asking, but there is no news yet. Phrag Ecua-Bess is still in
spike, or rather it is in bud now. I am wandering which one will flower
first: this Phrag Ecua-Bess or the Phal that I got from friends here at rgo.
I plan on taking a photo of each of them when they flower and posting these
photos to abpo.
Joanna

Old 16-02-2006, 04:42 AM posted to rec.gardens.orchids
Steve

:-)

"Steve" wrote in message

J Fortuna wrote:

[...]

Bess & Water Lilies JB[_6_] Ponds (moderated) 2 15-05-2010 05:33 PM
to let spike or not to let spike? J Fortuna Orchids 15 05-12-2005 03:38 AM
Where does a Phrag spike from? Bacchae Orchids 6 30-09-2005 03:44 PM
spike spike spike J Fortuna Orchids 2 04-09-2004 06:43 PM
Climbing Dainty Bess, Own-root Altissimo and other delectations Radika Roses 1 25-03-2003 02:32 AM